Kroger had a little lamb...

Minced lamb kabobs are pretty good Terry. I skewer them but you can just hand shape them or use wooden skewers. Salt, pepper, garlic powder (optional and I don't usually put any) chili powder, paprika, cumin (if you like) minced onions, minced or chopped fresh parsley. I go 1 tsp of salt per lb, 1/2 tsp of the rest of the seasonings with exception of cumin maybe 1/4 tsp. I also mix about 25% pork fat or briskets scraps as lamb is usually lean at 85/15. Side or rice and/or fries with pita bread and you're golden.

Middle Eastern restaurants around here have started to confuse me. Some claim kabobs/kebobs are chunks of lamb on a stick while others claim it's ground lamb on a stick, which I've always thought was called kafta.

Going with the original explanation I got, you should make kafta. Mix the lamb with finely chopped garlic, onion, peppers, parsley, season to taste, and squeeze tightly on a wet stick.

Seriously. Would love to hear suggestions to correct my dumbazz thoughts on using ground lamb. :mrgreen:

Middle Eastern restaurants around here have started to confuse me. Some claim kabobs/kebobs are chunks of lamb on a stick while others claim it's ground lamb on a stick, which I've always thought was called kafta.

Going with the original explanation I got, you should make kafta. Mix the lamb with finely chopped garlic, onion, peppers, parsley, season to taste, and squeeze tightly on a wet stick.

Seriously. Would love to hear suggestions to correct my dumbazz thoughts on using ground lamb. :mrgreen:

In Mediterranean/Middle Eastern cuisine these descriptions of foods are used broadly. Kabob/kebab etc are chunks of meat skewered and grilled over open fire. Shish kabob is another term commonly refered to meat on skewers grilled on open fire. Luleh/lulya kabob is ground beef/pork/lamb/chicken put on metal skewers in the southern Caucuses. The Lebanese refer to ground skewered kabobs as kofta or kufta kabobs. I know there is a higher concentration of different Arabic ethnicities there so they mainly refer to ground beef skewers as kabob. In turn in Armenia or Turkey kofta/kefta is referred to a dish usually baked in an oven. Then the Greeks call kabobs souvlaki. :biggrin1: The list goes on.

Last edited:
A goal of mine is chili made 50/50 with ground lamb and ground beef heart. Someday.
To my senses lamb has a rich deep flavor (some would say gamey). It would be perfect in chili, goulash, lasagna anything where you amp up the flavor. On the grill I'd do sliders

A goal of mine is chili made 50/50 with ground lamb and ground beef heart. Someday.
To my senses lamb has a rich deep flavor (some would say gamey). It would be perfect in chili, goulash, lasagna anything where you amp up the flavor. On the grill I'd do sliders

O. M. G.

Please do the lamb/beef heart chili or lasagna and post the cook here. You speak my language.

In Mediterranean/Middle Eastern cuisine these descriptions of foods are used broadly. Kabob/kebab etc are chunks of meat skewered and grilled over open fire. Shish kabob is another term commonly refered to meat on skewers grilled on open fire. Luleh/lulya kabob is ground beef/pork/lamb/chicken put on metal skewers in the southern Caucuses. The Lebanese refer to ground skewered kabobs as kofta or kufta kabobs. I know there is a higher concentration of different Arabic ethnicities there so they mainly refer to ground beef skewers as kabob. In turn in Armenia or Turkey kofta/kefta is referred to a dish usually baked in an oven. Then the Greeks call kabobs souvlaki. :biggrin1: The list goes on.

Well I'm confused. :confused:

Back