Kirkland pellets

Gore

Phizzy

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Gore (surprise!)
I picked up a bag about a month ago that was marked with an asterisk. I finally gave it a try a few times this week. I was not impressed. I have a MAK and did some cold smoking fine, but when I cranked up the temp to try to grill some steaks, I couldn't get past 360*. The second time, I let it sit for over an hour (1:20 to be precise) and it still didn't get past 360*. This was a few days back with temperatures in the mid-40s and no wind. I switched those pellets out with Lumberjack cherry today, and with temps in the 20s and winds at 25mph I got up to 400* in 40 minutes, so I'm sure the problem is the Kirkland pellets. Has anyone else had similar experience or did I just get a bad bag?

No access to Costco near my tent. Nearest is 125 miles away, and I'm not a member. I have a friend that loves all things GMG. The cooker and specially GMG Pellets. He's.probably only one I know, guessing others too, that is adamant at using a single brand of pellets, and for him it's GMG

Is this for extra flavor?

Humor (or not) aside, I have found the Kirkland brand to be generally reliable products. Then again, I trust Adam's more.

We've had excellent luck with Kirkland brand as well, which surprised me. I think the only Kirkland problems we've had is with their alkaline batteries. We've had MANY of these leak acid and ruin several pieces of electronics.

The interwebs indicate Pit Boss makes them for Costco and Pit Boss generally gets good pellet reviews. It makes me wonder if the moisture or ash content of the pellets are higher than specs call out...

The good news is since they are Kirkland, you could probably use the entire bag save one pellet and still get a full refund on the whole enchilada since you're not 100% satisfied. :grin:

The interwebs indicate Pit Boss makes them for Costco and Pit Boss generally gets good pellet reviews. It makes me wonder if the moisture or ash content of the pellets are higher than specs call out...

The good news is since they are Kirkland, you could probably use the entire bag save one pellet and still get a full refund on the whole enchilada since you're not 100% satisfied. :grin:

Good luck Gawd bless…

Interesting, I just opened the bag, so maybe it was a bad batch. I probably will end up just using it for cold smoking, which is fine. I would be a little hesitant to return a bag with one pellet left, as that's not my kinda thing. I also read recently that Costco can choose not to renew your membership based in part on what you return for refund. My Costco membership actually dates back to Price Club in 1983, which Costco bought out, so that would mean a major lifestyle change and I don't think I could handle that mentally.

I also read recently that Costco can choose not to renew your membership based in part on what you return for refund. My Costco membership actually dates back to Price Club in 1983, which Costco bought out, so that would mean a major lifestyle change and I don't think I could handle that mentally.
That's more for those who buy big TVs right before superbowl and return them the day after. I highly doubt returning a partially used bag of bad pellets will put you on the naughty list.

Although not loyal to a single brand I've burned many bags of PitBoss pellets. Not one single issue. I keep them in the garage or TuffShed. I live in a relatively dry environment. I have a 30# hopper. Keep my PitBoss Austin XL clean including internal thermometer probe and lid thermometer stem. I don't use the probes that go into the display. No wifi No Bluetooth just a dial and drive workhorse. I read quite a bit on pellet forums. Those plug in probes and internal monitoring probe (cleanliness and position) then add in 3-4 foot probes trying to tell these guys how to handle heat can be interesting. Fire pot with accumulated ash can greatly effect performance. I've never had a pellet failure from any of the multitudes of pellet brands I've used. I'm sure it's probably different on the high cost pellet cookers but the end of the pond I pi** in requires cleanliness at several critical locations for optimal performance. As well I usually smoke in the 250-300°--- range seldom ever higher. Do you have a stack on your cooker? PB recommends having stack all the way open, it's a raincap not something for adjustments to heat. As well gravity is what pulls pellets toward my auger. Some say keep your hopper full to feed properly.. mine usually gets no lower than half.

Just some random sipping coffee thoughts. Ymmv

Good luck Gawd bless…

Interesting, I just opened the bag, so maybe it was a bad batch. I probably will end up just using it for cold smoking, which is fine. I would be a little hesitant to return a bag with one pellet left, as that's not my kinda thing. I also read recently that Costco can choose not to renew your membership based in part on what you return for refund. My Costco membership actually dates back to Price Club in 1983, which Costco bought out, so that would mean a major lifestyle change and I don't think I could handle that mentally.

"Could", "should" and "would" are in totally different multiverses... I only mentioned the option for a chuckle. I wouldn't do it either, but am pretty confident they've seen people push the 100% satisfaction guarantee envelope much further without ruffling any feathers.

Back