Kingsford Flavored Pellets

Maybe I am reading this wrong, so I will ask this question. With the recent thread complaining about how Kingsford charcoal smells when it is burning, why would you want pellets that are Kingsford flavored?

I saw these in the store a while ago, and I just can't fathom how burning onion & garlic (or whatever flavor) would be a good addition. Dunno, maybe I'll be proven wrong but it just seems like a marketing gimmick to me.

I've got a few bags of each. I don't know about smell (I can't smell) but I didn't notice any taste difference either. They did burn pretty well with low dust and seemed to give pretty good heat. So for that, they are worth it at the clearance price.

Jason

I've gotten the Kingsford hickory several times and I like it as. well. But if I want onion, garlic an paprika I'll season the meat with it not use pellets flavored with it.

Last edited:
Introducing the new Kingsford Teriyaki Chicken Briquettes™ Low-Sodium Edition™. Now with our advanced No-Rub™ formula, marinades and seasonings are a thing of the past!

Try it with our new Corn & Taters™ flavor enhancing briquettes for the complete mealtime experience. Spend more time eating and less time prepping ... let Kingsford do the cooking for you!

I was going to buy one or two but with Brethren saying no no no, I said yes to three bags. I can't help it, I'm like that at times. Lowe's also had yellow tag clearance, deep discounts on covers. Found one regular 39 for 13.

Last edited:
Maybe I am reading this wrong, so I will ask this question. With the recent thread complaining about how Kingsford charcoal smells when it is burning, why would you want pellets that are Kingsford flavored?

I grew up with Kingsford in a grilling non smoking house. We grilled often, never smoked.. I've had exactly one bad bag of Kingsford Blue. I actually contacted customer service, they told me to throw it away and sent me a coupon for two bags of their top tier at the time. I don't buy it often as I enjoy trying all coals. I just think it's an interesting part of our Hobby. I just got out a Black Bag of B&B XL lump. Never had it, but looking forward to it. Some brands act differently, some batches of same brand act different.

Heat & Meat

different brand but I cooked this bird with garlic/herb pellets a couple years ago, through away the bag, never again
MVPeMOah.jpg

I grew up with Kingsford in a grilling non smoking house. We grilled often, never smoked.. I've had exactly one bad bag of Kingsford Blue. I actually contacted customer service, they told me to throw it away and sent me a coupon for two bags of their top tier at the time. I don't buy it often as I enjoy trying all coals. I just think it's an interesting part of our Hobby. I just got out a Black Bag of B&B XL lump. Never had it, but looking forward to it. Some brands act differently, some batches of same brand act different.

Heat & Meat

I was trying a poor attempt at humor by making fun of my first interpretation of the title of this thread as in the pellets were FLAVORED with Kingsford. Kingsford is one of my preferred brands of briquettes.

At least I did not have the problem my brother did over 20 years ago when I told him about this new BBQ forum on the internet. The first post title he saw read, "Looking for a WSM in the KC area." He immediately Xed way off that page.

He emailed me and asked what kind of forum I sent him to. I had to explain to him what a Weber Smokey Mountain was.

Last edited:
I was trying a poor attempt at humor by making fun of my first interpretation of the title of this thread as in the pellets were FLAVORED with Kingsford. Kingsford is one of my preferred brands of briquettes.

At least I did not have the problem my brother did over 20 years ago when I told him about this new BBQ forum on the internet. The first post title he saw read, "Looking for a WSM in the KC area." He immediately Xed way off that page.

He emailed me and asked what kind of forum I sent him to. I had to explain to him what a Weber Smokey Mountain was.

It's all good. I've made enough mistakes in my life to realize 15$ mistakes are easily overcome. What I saw at Lowe's I kind of regret not getting was a Lodge 12" cast iron skillet for 19$. I wished I needed. It. But don't.

different brand but I cooked this bird with garlic/herb pellets a couple years ago, through away the bag, never again
MVPeMOah.jpg

That reminds me of a time a friend roasted hotdogs over some pine logs.

Mmmm, soot....

I'll stick with adding spices directly to my food.

I haven't tried flavored pellets, but: 1) we choose fuels based on "wood flavorings" and 2) I admit that on many occasions I've dropped a half of an onion in my firebox.

Who knows...

I haven't tried flavored pellets, but: 1) we choose fuels based on "wood flavorings" and 2) I admit that on many occasions I've dropped a half of an onion in my firebox.

Who knows...

Sooner State wisdom. Thanks

Many years ago there were good threads about State Fair tricks to draw folks to your food booth. Dropping onions in coals or flames drew customers like a moth to light. Honestly on my pellet cooker I can't tell a whole lot of difference in the smokiness of food's, though the aroma emitted from the stack
Has always been pleasant, regardless

Back