THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I bought a Kindling Cracker XL a while back when Northern Tool was doing a sale...forget what I paid, want to say it was around $70 bucks. Anyhow, I just finally got around to using it on some oak wood I picked up that was split into sections much thicker than I'd ever use in the Shirley.

In the past I'd used a Fiskars 36" splitting axe to break down firewood into the "beer can diameter" size I prefer. While fun (for a little while) it was a lot of work, probably more dangerous, and less precise than using the Kindling Cracker. I still use it to break down logs too big for the Kindling Cracker, though.

I got ~1/4 cord and wanted to split it down into manageable pieces, which proved to be pretty easy with the Kindling Cracker and a 4lb hand sledge. In most cases it only took a couple thunks with the sledge to complete the split. I had the Kindling Cracker sitting directly on the ground, though next time I'll build a stand for it to save my back from all that bending over nonsense. There was only a few hunks of wood that I was unable to split with it, mainly pieces with a large knot or a section where a branch "branched off". I think a heavier sledge with a longer handle probably could've done it but I just added those to the bonfire pile.

Regardless, I head great control over the size and shape of the logs I was breaking down. Most of the pieces just barely fit into the XL Kindling Cracker, and they weren't THAT big, so I'd definitely recommend getting the XL over the regular. But I could take one of those splits and break them down into 3 or 4 smaller splits that are the size I like to cook with...I suppose I prefer to feed more often and have a little more control over what the fire is doing.

TL;DR - Kindling Cracker XL is a must buy if you have a stick burner. Very pleased with my purchase - don't even bother with the regular size, you could always break down smaller splits with the XL but the inverse obviously does not hold true. It would've taken me longer to do it with a splitting axe and the results wouldn't have been as precise with my amateur axe skills. :clap2:

Some pieces were still a little green

For perspective that metal rack is ~4x4'.

Last edited:
Agree 100%. I’ve had the regular for a few years and love it but recently upgraded to the XL - it makes the larger logs way easier and should have bought it earlier. Now I use the regular for smaller kindling for the watchman stove.

Nice review :clap2:

I use mine almost everyday and it's a super nice quality of life enhancement. I use it to make my large splits a bit smaller for my stickburner, and I also use it to effectively make kindling for the wood that goes in my cabinet smoker.

100% worth the cost and it's a fantastic addition to my other BBQ tools.

I have the smaller one, they did not make the larger one at that time. Absolutely love it, does exactly what it is supposed to do and much safer!! I use it to split down wood that is a bit to large for my smoker and also to make kindling wood for my fireplace!

Such a great tool. That plus the black and decker alligator lopper have made getting the right sized splits so easy.

I don’t, I’ve seen some experiments where people submerge splits in water for days on end and the water barely penetrates into the wood. If I lived somewhere that was consistently wet like the Pacific Northwest maybe I would, but I don’t, so I don’t. I’m by no means an expert though.

I very rarely that I have a split that will not fit in the little one but I have a great wood guy that listens to what I want but will buy a big one when the go on sale and use my coupon too. Great review :clap:

I bought the XL last week in preparation for my smaller Shirley I should hopefully get next month or early Dec. Haven't tried it yet, but will this weekend. Seems awesome.

Thanks for the review. I just bought the XL as well in prep for my Shirley 36".

i bought the xl in preparation for the shirley to arrive, tested it out and love it, also great for making starter sticks for the fireplace in the house

I have an XL also,but haven’t had the chance to use it yet. What are y’all mounting them on besides bigger logs as I only have splits? I wouldn’t want to have to put it down on the ground.

I was just going to screw or bolt together a frame out of 2x4’s. Kind of a triangle or A frame shape, doubling up the 2x4s if necessary. We will see how that holds up :becky:

I may be fortunate to have a local wood pile, where they sell smoker and firewood. But I found a stump there to mount my Cracker on.

Its not exactly level, but its not far enough off to effect splitting wood.

I just leave mine on the ground. I was looking for a stump for mounting but after using it on the ground I found it's pretty stable by itself.

Back