KCBS BOD being reduced to 9 members

GrillBillie_D

Full Fledged Farker
I have seen several comments about the KCBS board voting to reduce the number of board members from 12 to 9 during their last meeting. Unfortunately, there was not a good explanation of what and why from the board. I listened to the BOD hearing to try to understand what they are doing. First, they said that most boards of even large corporations average about 9 members or less. That is what they say is part of their reasoning. Also, with the CEO taking on more responsibility, then there is less for the board to do. The reduction to 9 board members will take place over time. Here is the overview that they planned:

2021 Election - 4 Board terms expire, 4 Board slots elected (Board remains 12)
2022 Election - 4 Board terms expire, 3 Board slots elected (Board down to 11)
2023 Election - 4 Board terms expire, 3 Board slots elected (Board down to 10)
2024 Election - 4 Board terms expire, 3 Board slots elected (Board down to 9)
Future elections have 3 terms expire and 3 elected

I wished they would have come out and spelled it out clearly for people to understand. After I listened to the meeting audio, I was clear what their intentions were but not very many people will dig that deep.

I think you mostly did give the main answers in your own info above. 12 people on board is too many in my opinion, regardless of the business.

I have worked for nearly 20 years for a board of 7. It’s hard enough to get those 7, who have people coming and going every few years, to ever get into sync or a rhythm that allows the organization to be moving forward. I think that issue would only be exasperated with having 12 on a board.

I also serve on a board that has 7 and feel the same being on that side of the fence. If you have a good CEO or GM, then the role of policy makers and oversight becomes less important. You are just there to ensure the ship is moving in the right direction, to vote on policy and to ensure proper oversight of the organization. It’s a good thing but can easily be bogged down with too many opinions.

I don’t keep up with the inner workings of KCBS or have the criticisms of KCBS that many around here do, but it seems many times what I have read is that KCBS desperately needs to improve their organization on how judges are trained and ensure consistency with that. And I’ve heard comments that they operate like a rudderless ship.

And if those things are more true than not, then maybe downsizing the leadership and streamlining their ability to put in place new policy and change is a step in the right direction, especially if the new CEO has any talent to lead.

I read the minutes and listened to the very short Mp3 and agree they are just allowing the new CEO to do her job and cut down on all the scoundralisms that always show up.
Ed

Having has the opportunity to sit in on a Zoom meeting with our CEO this past week, I came away impressed with her vision for KCBS as the org moves on after this year. Reducing the number of BOD members is a good thing. A board needs to set direction and sit back as the CEO implements it's directives. With fewer members, the BOD can better focus. Plus, there will be 1/4 less costs related to BOD expenses.

Back