Kamado Joe vs Weber summit charcoal grill. Usability questions.

ECB

Knows what a fatty is.
Hi all, I'm in the process of moving and sold my 15 year old bge. Now I'm faced with a dilemma. What to replace it with.

The new house has an outdoor kitchen and already has a high end gas grill that's plumbed in. So that's covered.

Now I'm wanting to add a charcoal grill. My question is to people who've used both the Weber summit and kamado Joe(big Joe 3) did you favor one over the other in terms of practical usability? Things like ash removal, adding lump mid cook, lighting, accessories, etc?

I've read/watched exhaustive amounts of threads and videos and know the differences, but for me it would come back to which is just overall more pleasant to own and use, as I know either will turn out killer food.

The kj gasket system/latch look like worlds better than the Weber, and overall the kj just looks more "premium" to me. But on the flip side the Weber ash clean out looks easier.

Kj seems to have more accessories, possibly better cooking grid system etc etc.

My last question and options also might be to buy a 22" Weber performer and a mak 2 pellet smoker but I honesty think the Weber summit/kj can do just about everything better than a pellet grill other than light itself.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

It seems like the MAK, Summit, and Kettle are universally loved on here. You might not get many votes for the KJ.

It seems like the MAK, Summit, and Kettle are universally loved on here. You might not get many votes for the KJ.

You'll get one from me. I have the original Big Joe. The 3 has a lot of new improvements that the previous versions don't. New hinge give the lid a feather light weight. That's the reason for the latch, the old one relied on the weight of the lid to make a seal. I believe the KJ has a Kick Ash basket type of system now for ash cleanout. You can get pizza stone, soap stone, cast iron griddle, cast iron grates. Lots of options.

Huge fan of the WSC. I'm constantly finding ways to use its versatility in being a grill vs. the kamado. But I also do have a pellet grill for some cases where short term for pies/pizzas or overnight for certain items where I like it's control.

My closest BBQ friend has a KJ Big Joe and he also loves it. So i can't speak that it wouldn't meet your goal.

I find the WSC and its metal temp control and one touch cleanout is pretty cool. Which I guess to one of your questions. The other one about adding/removing charcoal - easy enough but I'm not sure I would celebrate the design of the hinged grate or deflectors. I just remove them both and get on with life of rebuilding the fire.

Fortunately that doesn't seem to happen unless I underestimate the fuel, which has only happened twice in a multitude of uses.

Thanks. If I got the mak2 I'd just get a kettle and not additionally the summit.
Where the baby back maniac when you need him?
Yes I'd love to hear his thoughts on owning and operating them.
You'll get one from me. I have the original Big Joe. The 3 has a lot of new improvements that the previous versions don't. New hinge give the lid a feather light weight. That's the reason for the latch, the old one relied on the weight of the lid to make a seal. I believe the KJ has a Kick Ash basket type of system now for ash cleanout. You can get pizza stone, soap stone, cast iron griddle, cast iron grates. Lots of options.

I checked out the big Joe 3 yesterday and it's so nice. Made my bge feel like a dinosaur lol

Huge fan of the WSC. I'm constantly finding ways to use its versatility in being a grill vs. the kamado. But I also do have a pellet grill for some cases where short term for pies/pizzas or overnight for certain items where I like it's control.

My closest BBQ friend has a KJ Big Joe and he also loves it. So i can't speak that it wouldn't meet your goal.

I find the WSC and its metal temp control and one touch cleanout is pretty cool. Which I guess to one of your questions. The other one about adding/removing charcoal - easy enough but I'm not sure I would celebrate the design of the hinged grate or deflectors. I just remove them both and get on with life of rebuilding the fire.

Fortunately that doesn't seem to happen unless I underestimate the fuel, which has only happened twice in a multitude of uses.
Do you use any temp controller?

Where the baby back maniac when you need him?
Yea id love him to weigh in on the usability and quirks of owning each. I've watched all his videos like 10x lol

Guess I'd just be curious what he feels the Weber does better if anything. The kj seems more feature rich.

I checked out the kj 3 yesterday and it's so nice. Everything about it feels premium. Makes the bge feel like a dinosaur.

Do you use any temp controller?

I just got the UltraQ about 3 weeks back and have used it on a ribs and a butt. Happy with with so far on its ability to join with the WSC. Since you have to choke off your fan quite a bit, it indicates the temperature stability of the WSC.

I have a summit and kamado Joe (classic not the big joe). I prefer the summit all day, everyday. Its easier to clean, move, start, adjust temp etc.... Its better for me in every way. Now thats not to say the kamado Joe isn't awesome, because it definitely is. They both cook essentially identical. But the usability wins on the Weber, for me anyway.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Don’t know much about the Weber but I vote for joe. So many features and upgrades available. I love my Primo but if faced with that decision today I may chose the Joe for those available add ons alone!

I would vote for the Joe, especially in colder climates. I am not sure how the summit would perform in -30 winters where I live.

I have a summit and kamado Joe (classic not the big joe). I prefer the summit all day, everyday. Its easier to clean, move, start, adjust temp etc.... Its better for me in every way. Now thats not to say the kamado Joe isn't awesome, because it definitely is. They both cook essentially identical. But the usability wins on the Weber, for me anyway.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Is it the classic 3?

The usability is definitely big for me.

Do you use the Weber gas assist to start?

Thanks!

I would vote for the Joe, especially in colder climates. I am not sure how the summit would perform in -30 winters where I live.

It would surprise you. Its very well insulated. I ran my summit for about 12 hours during our last bout with a polar vortex, -20 and colder. Used a little more fuel than normal but maintained temp without many adjustments.

Don’t know much about the Weber but I vote for joe. So many features and upgrades available. I love my Primo but if faced with that decision today I may chose the Joe for those available add ons alone!

Really this, and just the more premium look and feel are what keep me struggling with this decision. Lots of great stuff included + available for purchase.

The gasket/latch design of the kj is really nice!

What did you not like about your BGE that you didn't include it the XL in your search?

I went through this last year, but was considering BGE, Primo and Weber Summit. I ended up with the Summit after seeing a neighbor's BGE badly crazed. I like that I can run lump or briquettes, it's easy to move (I keep mine in the garage), ash collection/removal works very well and knocking the temps down if I overshoot doesn't take forever. I do use the gas assist and a temp controller (CyberQ).

What did you not like about your BGE that you didn't include it the XL in your search?

I mean mine was a older one. Awful gasket, weak assisted hinge, cleaning ash out was a pain in the ass, the ceramic grill store accessories were a little cumbersome etc.

Maybe bge innovated the new ones, I haven't even looked because they were stagnant for so long. But I saw the kj pushing the innovative of ceramic cookers and I always support companies pushing innovation. So that's why I'd go with the kj over the bge.

Last edited:
Back