Kamado Joe "Big Joe" on sale at Costco for like $1199

Took four guys at Costco to get this in my Expedition. I was hoping that me and one other guy could sort of tip it on its side and slide it out directly into the base but might have to enlist one other just in case.

Any quick tips from Kamado experts out there? I've already learned about the "burp" on these things. All ears for any other tips before I really get cooking on this thing. Am looking to do a brisky tomorrow or Saturday depending on when I get it set up.

Foiling the meat may be a waste unless you are trying to impart a flavor (like a Dr Pepper pork butt). Don't bother wrapping the brisket till you pull it for a rest. I've done ribs, brisket, and butts on mine all without wrapping and all come out moist and tender.

That kamado guru site is quite good.

I normally wrap a brisket in foil and put a mop in there. I'm intrigued by the idea of just skipping the whole foiling step and going nekkid the whole way.

Do you put a water pan in the Kamado to help with moisture or is the very design of the cooker sufficient to keep moisture?

I normally wrap a brisket in foil and put a mop in there. I'm intrigued by the idea of just skipping the whole foiling step and going nekkid the whole way.

Do you put a water pan in the Kamado to help with moisture or is the very design of the cooker sufficient to keep moisture?

No water, the cooker retains moisture well enough without it. I do however place a pan beneath the grate and meat, on top of the deflectors on X-rack. I do this to catch drippings and make cleanup easier. I do it this way rather than foiling my deflector plates like Bosco suggests.

Here is a pic of how I set up to run naked all the way.
xYMdnTTl.jpg

1k6V26Ll.jpg

qzygEKZl.jpg

So got two other guys to help unload the pit. Got it out no problem, in the base. All set up nice. Then started removing stuff from inside so I could get the styrofoam out and guess what happens? One of the half moon deflector dishes slips out from what I was gripping, falls on the cement and splits one of the corners. :sad::oops::doh:

Hoping I can sweet talk the dealer at Costco to replace it otherwise I'm out $60 for a replacement.

Good news is it was just a corner that broke off so if I do have to order a new one I can still manage to cook with it this weekend.

Ask him to swap out the deflector from the one they messed up loading on my truck on Sunday. :wink:

Yep. 25% off nearly everywhere else. Along with a free cover & a box of fire starters. You could try to talk them into some free charcoal too. I wasn't successful there.

Yep. 25% off nearly everywhere else. Along with a free cover & a box of fire starters. You could try to talk them into some free charcoal too. I wasn't successful there.

Dang!! Sounds hard to pass up!!
After watching some vids, I see why folks chose a Joe over the BGE.
Adding a Big Joe to my old non-bge Egg handed down from my Grandfather (bought in late 1970's), my BGE Mini, my OC offset, and my LSG IVC on order, I'd say I'd be set for Life! lol

I think I have a problem...lol

You know you want one... Pictures just don't do it justice. It's bigger than it looks. Picked mine up last Sunday.

IMG_20160821_173311.jpg

IMG_20160821_181704.jpg

Is Red the only color? Thought I saw a black one in a vid.

I might just have to do it... Problem is, I broke my wrist Sunday night and would have to have them load it for me and some friend or two to help me unload / assemble.

Is Red the only color? Thought I saw a black one in a vid.

I might just have to do it... Problem is, I broke my wrist Sunday night and would have to have them load it for me and some friend or two to help me unload / assemble.

Here is the black ones I own… can't figure out how to post pics from my phone :( They don't sell black at roadshows though. I hear some dealers may still have some

Last edited:
Back