Just Purchased a Humphrey's Pint from SLBBQ

tacodude

Knows what a fatty is.
As the title says I just bought a Humphrey's Pint from the St. Louis BBQ store it will ship out Monday. Can't wait for it to get here!!
First I want to THANK Louis & Scott at Saint Louis BBQ for the GREAT customer experience and service!!
I'm looking for some tips & tricks from the Brethren for using this smoker, anybody got any?
The more I know about this unit before I get it will help me get cookin the minute I get finish seasoning it>
Thanks in advance for the tips!!

I don't have one, so I can't offer any advice. Everything I have read indicates that you bought an excellent cooker though.

I have one the family got me for Father's day last year. Love and have four pork butts on it right now. The first thing I will tell you is learn to use it with out electronics before you go with them. After nearly a year of use I have learned how much charcoal to use for what I am cooking so I don't waste much. Most times if doing a big cook I use one of the dividers set toward the back to dump about 3/4 of a charcoal starter full of lit coals then pull it once up to temp and push the charcoal together. If you use the water pan don't add the water until you are within 50 degrees or so of cooking temp and then add boiling water. Save on charcoal and bring pit up to temp quicker. Doing it this way I can have my pit to temp within an hour. I found if I run manual my Pint likes to run about 235 degrees with ball valve half open and exhaust half open. I did set the AAF to only 1 and 1/4 holes showing to keep smoke it the pit longer. Also I cook all my ,eats except chicken in the middle of the box. If cooking a lot of meat you may want to rotate the grates every couple hours so it all cooks evenly. Any questions just ask.

I have one the family got me for Father's day last year. Love and have four pork butts on it right now. The first thing I will tell you is learn to use it with out electronics before you go with them. After nearly a year of use I have learned how much charcoal to use for what I am cooking so I don't waste much. Most times if doing a big cook I use one of the dividers set toward the back to dump about 3/4 of a charcoal starter full of lit coals then pull it once up to temp and push the charcoal together. If you use the water pan don't add the water until you are within 50 degrees or so of cooking temp and then add boiling water. Save on charcoal and bring pit up to temp quicker. Doing it this way I can have my pit to temp within an hour. I found if I run manual my Pint likes to run about 235 degrees with ball valve half open and exhaust half open. I did set the AAF to only 1 and 1/4 holes showing to keep smoke it the pit longer. Also I cook all my ,eats except chicken in the middle of the box. If cooking a lot of meat you may want to rotate the grates every couple hours so it all cooks evenly. Any questions just ask.

I can't agree more with learning how to run without electronics first. That way you can still cook if your controller goes down.

THANK YOU everyone, I can't wait for it to show up so I can get started learning how she works. I agree no electronics until I have got temperature control down without using them.
Any suggestions on the best way to season her and the gaskets?

Thanks again!

Spray the inside with Pam and all the racks. Start your fire and let her run at 225 to 250 for 4 to 5 hours the throw on a couple fatties. Before you spray it wipe everything down to clean any building dust out of it. Don't spray the gaskets though.

Thanks Westx!
Going to follow your advice as soon as I get it delivered and uncrated.

Spray the inside with Pam and all the racks. Start your fire and let her run at 225 to 250 for 4 to 5 hours the throw on a couple fatties. Before you spray it wipe everything down to clean any building dust out of it. Don't spray the gaskets though.

Congrats tacodude. I was just there at stlbbq yesterday morning looking at some Humphrey's smokers myself. The customer service so far is great. Was thinking about the Battlebox before getting there, but I talked myself into the Pint for the room I'm wanting. Just wanting to make sure what options I want/need before I pull the trigger, but 99.9% sure I'll be back there to get one.

Yeah buddy, welcome to #pintlove. I am going to raw dog it next weekend for some pulled beef, no controllers, just to manage the temps with a different lump. Fun tool to play with, definitely a hefty cooker with ranges and adjustments like the AAF. I leave my exhaust stack open about an inch, and AAF 25% open when running with controllers.

When you spray the inside with PAM...Make sure it is not the extra virgin olive oil one..It has too low a smoke point....Use canola or vegetable oil. What was recommended to me and how I did mine was to spray it, and get it up to around 225º. This will set seals, gaskets, etc.! Every hour open the door and respray it again with a light coat. Do this for at least 4 hours. So initial spray, and 3 more at 1 hour intervals. (1 of the large cans of PAM will do this entire operation)! You can then either throw something on to cook, close the vents and let her shut down and cool naturally or let her continue to burn to time how long she'll cook for. During this time it is also a good idea to probe each grate level so you know the temperature range inside your smoker from top to bottom with a set pit gauge door temp of 225. You will now have a good base coat season on the Hump. After this she might still leak a little in spots; don't worry...it'll take anywhere from about 5-10 good cooks on her to get her all settled in!!!

Back