just ordered a new toy

MiddNightSmoker

I recently ordered a Char-Broil American Gourmet Charcoal offset smoker. *I actually had one.. *another Char-Broil.. years ago when I was a bit younger.. and smoked the $#!T out of it.. with all sorts of goodness.. but I just used it.. as is.
It eventually rusted out on me.. thin metal.. didn't take care of it properly.
One of the first things I plan to do.. is spray that thing down with some of that Rust Oleum high heat/flat black.. to try and better protect it.. but when it comes to gaskets.. or some of that sealer.. what spot would be a good area to look into. *aside from supporting Amazon.. who is slowly taking over the world.
I also wanted a better charcoal basket.. *better then that Oklahoma joes basket.. as I do plan to use more of the splits in there.. and would like to keep that fire/heat off the sides.. though.. I don't weld.. and also wanted to see about having a water pan/heat deflector made?? that I could put near the heat source.. and main cooking chamber.. and add some tuning plates to help distribute the heat.
As I mentioned.. I don't weld.. is there a company out there your aware of when it comes to the water pan/heat deflector.. and possibly that coal/split basket.
I'm gonna do my best to use this one.. for as long as I can.. Had my eye on a JH reverse flow smoker.. though.. space and cost.. and my jeep mods are keeping that from happening.

The biggest problem you will have is the SIZE of the fire box.

I had an OK Joe offset (similar size) and it's tough to burn small splits without burning the paint off with or without a basket.

You need the wood to have flames or expect dirty smoke.*

If you have flames in that small fire box, you're gonna have some paint issues unless it's 3 or 4 coats of the stuff the big guys put on.

*BUT....lots of people smoke in kettles, kamados, and other contraptions without the wood burning flames. Just smoldering producing smoke. In that case, your paint should be ok. Just don't let it flame up! :-D

Back