Judges and cooks

I have only been in competition bbq for 6 years but then again I am only 28. Yes the stuff I have had wasn't as good as what I turn in, just about every contest we get at least one call sometimes more but once we left Alabama and ompeted in ms we had a reserve grand maybe my tastes are better for the one state over than Alabama. So everyone doesn't see how judges that are at every single contests the competitors are at and hanging out that a team doesn't how them pics of turnin boxes so they can pick it out. How do you think the team knew from the table captain that their entry didn't get the 180.

Man, take it with a grain of salt...This is about fun, if you ain't having fun then you are in the wrong hobby.

There are a hundred things that could have happened with that. The team could have described their turn in AFTER the judging and gotten feedback, the Table Captain could have broken the rules, or more often than not...That Table captain was practicing the Golden Rule of BBQ...BS. He was probably talking out his rear end just like hundreds of BBQers before him. He could have been trying to get a rise out of some team members he knew...

Just shrug it off. Its BBQ

little bit of r & r, it seems to be that you have grudges with judges. Sure there might be some judges that can pick out a certain teams entry but I believe that those judges are far an few between. The likely hood of all those 7 judges remembering those boxes is highly unlikely. It seem like your pissed off because no judge will come over and judge for you at your house. I am sure that, unless you piss of judges, that judges would be willing to come over and judge your meats as well. Ask them your next comp.

Sure Table Captains might know what a team turns in just by being close to the door, and that table captain is out of line stating to that team. but you know what we are human.

If you think you stuff is so much better than everyone else, then why aren't you winning GC every time? Sure you might cook good but there are always a better teams out there. When you say I judge and everything that I judge is not as good as mine, then maybe you should retake the CBJ class or stop judging! We are not there to judge if they cook better than me, we are there to judge what is presented to us that day! We are not there to compare each meat with each other. We are to judge each meet on it own merit, read the CBJ hand book. If you can't do this then you should not judge.

I am not trying to pick on you, but what you have said hits a nerve with me. Statements that you have made gives ALL judges a bad reputation with teams.
Judges have a bad enough time with half truths and misconceptions we don't need more.

Michael
CMBJ
RMBBQA Member
Judge Fairly Certified

...This is about fun, if you ain't having fun then you are in the wrong hobby. ...

I'm not sure anyone has said it more clearly. Bravo!

R & R, you're in bbq-brethren. It's about friendship, and comradery. You'd posed a legitimate set of questions, and I think we've answered your questions, each in our own way.

While I dont have as many BBQ competitions (as a competitor) as many here, I have competed in lots of food competitions, and frankly there are tons of similarities. First and foremost, and I think one of the things you're not doing, is that you cook for and to judges tastes; NOT YOUR OWN tastes. Competing in chili contests really drove this home for me personally as a cook. There is a balance to be had, and this same lesson applies to any cooking competition where you have multiple judges judging and in essence critiquing your food. Dont alienate any judge.

As to the judge talking to the team about not getting a 180, there's been lots of suppositions, conjecture, and frankly whatever it was you heard, it was obviously not 100% of the story, otherwise you'd have known exactly how this came to pass. My point is, a partial truth is just that, only a partial understanding. The rest is fill-in-the-blank assumptions.

For goodness sake; have fun. This is a hobby. If you're not enjoying your hobby, dont do it.

Back