Jerky Process Question

Dooglefish

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
I've made Jerky a couple of times and have a question about the process / safety. I've been using the Hi Mountain Seasoning packages that contain both pink salt and seasoning. I follow the directions as it says...

Measure and coat meat (1/4") thick and cure for 24 hours
Smoke for 2 hours at 200 on my YS640
The bottom cooks much faster than the top and I'm finding it hard to figure out when it's "done"

What role does meat temp (assuming 165) have in safety vs curing the meat? I could get it to 165 at a higher temp quicker and end up with Jerky that is a little less dried out or go slow and dry it out.

Do you need to get it to 165 to be "safe" and I'm curious how others judge done and what they are looking for in the texture.

I've made Jerky a couple of times and have a question about the process / safety. I've been using the Hi Mountain Seasoning packages that contain both pink salt and seasoning. I follow the directions as it says...

Measure and coat meat (1/4") thick and cure for 24 hours
Smoke for 2 hours at 200 on my YS640
The bottom cooks much faster than the top and I'm finding it hard to figure out when it's "done"

What role does meat temp (assuming 165) have in safety vs curing the meat? I could get it to 165 at a higher temp quicker and end up with Jerky that is a little less dried out or go slow and dry it out.

Do you need to get it to 165 to be "safe" and I'm curious how others judge done and what they are looking for in the texture.

Man I would just run the smoker at 160-170 until I made jerky. No reason the worry bout meat temp for thin piece of jerky meat..?

In my experience with jerky if you use a cure you don't need to worry about temps If not I would bring it up anywhere north of 160 and then dry on a Lower heat. I pull it when it's not "sticky" anymore. Keep feeling the pieces and if they feel dry and not wet or sticky they should be done. I just did 8 lbs today using this method. No cure. Turned out great.

Man I would just run the smoker at 160-170 until I made jerky. No reason the worry bout meat temp for thin piece of jerky meat..?

I agree. The goal on jerky is dry it, not cook it. Are you saying the bottom of the meat cooks faster, or the bottom rack cooks faster? Wondering if it is a damper issue, because the cooker should hold pretty even heat. You want to dry it until it bends a little, before it breaks. I would cut my jerky about 1/8" thick not 1/4" and lower my temps to 165.

The top shelf cooked slower than the bottom shelf, so the damper is a great suggestion. Thanks for all the feedback, I believe you guys answered my question. Assuming the jerky is cured, the cooking is not about safety but dryness. I like the jerky to be more "meaty" if you will which requires less cooking, but was afraid of the safety issue.

I agree with the others, 1/8" is a more desirable product for me. The meat doesn't need to be cooked, just dried, the reason they put that on the box is to circumvent any liability from using their product. If you take it to 165 as directed on the box, and you have properly used the cure, then they have covered themselves. Any mishap would be from improper use because no bacteria could survive both processes.

I get my best results when I Cold smoke for 1-2 hours (no heat), then raise smoker temperature to 100° to 115° and smoke until dry but slightly pliable. The finished product should be slightly pliable but not break when folded in half. When folding it should create a distinct white line where it was folded without breaking in half.

If one part of the smoker is hotter than the other, you can rotate the meat, or just remove what is properly dried and move the shelves up. Don't package the jerky until it has sat at room temperature for a couple hours to prevent mold from condensation.

Back