Jerk Chicken

Cook

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Jay
Don't get on here much these days...stay on Facebook Groups mostly. But poked my head in to see what's going on, and thought I'd post up my supper from a couple nights ago.

Jerk Chicken with Rice & Peas

I didn't have everything I needed to make my normal wet rub so I improvised. I combined some soy sauce, culantro, onion, garlic, my dry jerk rub, and about a quarter of a habanero in order to season up just two lonely dark quarters. I liberally salted the quarters & rubbed them down with the marinade. We were also short on gallon zip bags so I just left them in a pan. Let them sit on the counter for about three hours...not worried about time/temp as they were going on a hot grill right after.

Got the WSM going, set up for direct heat...no water pan or deflector. Put a chunck of pecan/oak in the bottom of a chimney, filled it with Royal Oak briques, and toped that off with two more chunks of wood. When everything was fully lit, I dumped it all in the WSM, put the smoker together, left the door open, and went upstairs to get the chicken. Came back to a fully combusted fire (from the two wood chunks I got started on the top of the chimney). I added one fresh chunk of wood, and got the chicken on...skin side down. I left the firebox door open for about 10-15 minutes to be sure the final chunk of wood caught good. Closed up the door, left all the vents wide open, went to start the Rice & Peas, and get my jerk sauce mixed.

After an hour I flipped the chicken, and started a half chimney of coals. After about 10-15 minutes I dumped the half chimney through the door. Chicken was done in an hour & a half.

Attachments

• 147675830_4317025968313796_8800847320236095248_n.jpg
    147675830_4317025968313796_8800847320236095248_n.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
I have a genuine weakness for jerk chicken And that has my mouth watering. I guess I'd better make some now.

Back