"Jamestown" Permanent Masonry Pit - Etymology?

frice

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Frank
I have booked a VRBO for this summer which has a unique feature: the owner built a brick smoker into his outside gazebo-like kitchen. I hope to use it as the experience would be fun. I talked to the owner briefly and just touched on the curious name he called it - Jamestown smoker. All I gleaned from that talk was that it is a nickname for such an installation, very likely local to the southeast, in this case eastern Florida. This is the only pic I have of the gazebo area. You can make out the brown/rust colored fire and cook chamber doors arranged vertically, and what appears to be a temp dial.

Jamestown Smoker Gazebo.jpg

Web searching has found a 25 year old fabrication company in New York who sells park style grilles, but nothing like this. There is a small town in NC called Jamestown which may be home to some BBQ innovations, given the state's history and Jamestown's relative proximity to Lexington. That's all I could find.

Does anyone have any knowledge on the term Jamestown smoker or Jamestown pit in this context?

I don't know either....but I would take a rack of ribs and a couple of ribeyes with me.

I'd look at your rental agreement REAL close. We rented a VRBO in Florida last year, which had a gas grill by the pool. When I took the cover off it, it had a little plastic tie holding the lid down. Thinking this meant the grill had been cleaned and was ready to use it, I opened the grill and grilled burgers. When we got the bill after checking out, there was a $60.00 fee on there for using the grill. Are you freaking kidding me, you rent a house with a grill then charge the renters for using it? First time that ever happened to me, but I'm guessing it's now a thing for VRBOs to make more money.

I'd look at your rental agreement REAL close. We rented a VRBO in Florida last year, which had a gas grill by the pool. When I took the cover off it, it had a little plastic tie holding the lid down. Thinking this meant the grill had been cleaned and was ready to use it, I opened the grill and grilled burgers. When we got the bill after checking out, there was a $60.00 fee on there for using the grill. Are you freaking kidding me, you rent a house with a grill then charge the renters for using it? First time that ever happened to me, but I'm guessing it's now a thing for VRBOs to make more money.

I have read everything there is to read so far and I've also talked to him about it briefly and will do so again to cover all bases.

Whenever I rent a place where there's any kind of grill it's always filthy when I first open the lid and then magically it's nearly spotless when I'm done with it. I'm still waiting for that courtesy to be extended the other direction.

Back