Jah Love Jerk vs. Santa Maria throwdown and other Oakridge

Kanco Connection

is Blowin Smoke!
First time trying Jah Love and Santa Maria from Oakridge BBQ. Put them on some bland pork chops and served to the fam for evaluation...

Jah Love
1jvp56fl.jpg

Santa Maria
zJBq9zpl.jpg

Cooked to 135, tenderlicious
uARAdzel.jpg

Both were great, but I might have preferred Jah Love just by a nose. Rest of the family gave a resounding win to Santa Maria. But they're kinda wimpy on the spicy stuff, so no surprise. Anybody cut the jerk seasoning with something more mild? Maybe make it more acceptable to the rest of the fam? Santa Maria seems pretty versatile, so might try that.

Anyway, while I was at it I did 2 tritips, one with Carne Crosta and one with Santa Maria. Santa Maria tritip was great, but CC better. Didn't slice into it much since I'm giving them away.

62SnH0wl.jpg

Finally, did a couple chuckies with Black Ops. Again, giving to another family, so just nibbled--didn't tear into it to get good pix of the inside. But nibbled enough to wish I wasn't giving them away. HOLY CRAP! So good!

iFBZra3l.jpg

Oakridge BBQ rubs used to seem crazy expensive. But you know what's really expensive? Spending money on meat that's not as good as it could be. I'm a believer.

Thanks for looking. (and let me know if you cut your jerk with anything that helps)

I've found that I dont have to coat quite as heavily with Oakridge to still get a good flavor pop, so I figure if there is much of a price difference between other rubs I frequent, it's kind of a wash. Plus, the seasoning used on the meat costs far less than the meat itself, whichever brand the seasoning happens to be. I want the best possible outcome from that piece of meat!

Cooks look great, Kanco. :thumb:

The first time I used Jah Love, I overdid it and it overwhelmed the wings. I have since learned to back off a bit........a little dab will do ya.

I really like Santa Maria on pork chops. It gives them a nice pop and edge.

Wow, you've had a great day of cooking!

I've not tried cutting the Jah Love... interesting idea.

We're huge fans of Oakridge products... especially that Santa Maria and HDD.

Whatcha' going to do with those chuckies?

Oakridge recommends using peanut oil in a 1-1 ratio with the Jah Love. So 3TBS of each makes a nice paste. Marinate the pork chops or chicken in that overnight or up to 24 hours.

You’ll never look back.

Great looking product. But I’ve gotta go with the fam here - Santa Maria all the way. But then again all that Oakridge stuff is great. Only way to make it better - move the HQ to Oklahoma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OUTSTANDING!:thumb: I have the Jah , not opened it yet.The others I have tried are Stellar.CC,SM,Dominator,Blk Ops,etc. Buy once,cry once.The bittneress of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price.:wink:

I have tried neither of them yet. I was sad to hear my local BBQ store was going out of business... my next pickup there would have been Jah Love but I haven't had time to make a trip, so I will order online. As far as jerk goes, my family is a huge fan, so I would say yeah to that one. I found directions somewhere, where it is mixed with oil to make a paste for marinading, so I would do that and see how you like it. However, I will have to try it as a dry rub too. I had a local place where I used to live, with fellas from Jamaica, that dry rub their jerk and then grill, with sauce if you want it. It was tasty. I also want to try all the other Oakridge products, I just want to use what I've got first.

Cooks look great, Kanco. :thumb:

The first time I used Jah Love, I overdid it and it overwhelmed the wings. I have since learned to back off a bit........a little dab will do ya.

I really like Santa Maria on pork chops. It gives them a nice pop and edge.

Yeah, I could see that. I may have overdone it, but sure tasted amazing to me!

Oakridge recommends using peanut oil in a 1-1 ratio with the Jah Love. So 3TBS of each makes a nice paste. Marinate the pork chops or chicken in that overnight or up to 24 hours.

You’ll never look back.

Yeah, I eyeballed it, but pretty sure I added my JL than necessary. But what a delicious mistake!

You’ll never look back.

^^^ Yes, this! Please, please follow the directions on Jah Love and make the paste. Please. Pretty please... :thumb: :thumb: :becky:

Back