THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zed

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Name or Nickame
Zed
Alright I have another thread about my first uds but I wanted to start another one just about this charcoal basket I came up with. I've not come across any other threads or pics of one like this. I took a 20 lb propane tank and cut the top off. Then I layed out 3/4 inch holes every 1.5 inches with an alternating pattern. I cut the bottom out but left the original foot and dropped in a Weber little Smokey charcoal grate. This in total cost me 8 dollars. I got the old tank for free. It seems to burn wood like a champ. It measures 11.25 wide by 13 tall. I'm curious if anyone else has done this. I will add an ash pan and a handle tomorrow. What do you guy's think?

Attachments

Last edited:
Alot heavier and more work than using expanded metal/weber grate.
But if you like it do it!

• Thanks
Reactions: Zed
Very interested. How did make sure the tank was empty before you cut into it? I have several I could cut up

Step 1) I attached a bit of has hose so the tank valve was depressed and would bleed out any remaining gas.

Step 2) I used a monkey wrench and a breaker bar to remove the valve.

Step 3) I filled the tank with water and expelled any remaining gas. Then emptied the tank and refilled with soapy water and let it sit for a bit.

Step 4) I traced a line around the tank by spinning it and using a marker. Then I repeated this process every inch and a half vertically by placing the tank on a piece of 2x4 and kept stacking until i reached the bottom.

Step 5) I used painters tape to go around the tank to find the circumference then divided that by how many holes I wanted. Then laid out the hole locations.

Step 6) I cut the top off and drilled pilot holes then finished them out with a 3/4 bit. Then used an angle grinder to clean up the tank inside and out. Also I cut out the bottom leaving the foot.

Last edited:
Alot heavier and more work than using expanded metal/weber grate.
But if you like it do it!
No argument here, but it was free. The work involved took about 3 hrs. So far I've spent 8 dollars on this uds. All parts have been re-purposed. I'm trying to see how cheap I can build this. Plus how to do it different than the others, when I can, with what I have or can get for free.

Last edited:
Very nice idea, I would have probably never considered anything like that. No doubt it will outlast the UDS itself.

Looks cool. How did you go about evacuating the cylinder before you cut?

Alright I have another thread about my first uds but I wanted to start another one just about this charcoal basket I came up with. I've not come across any other threads or pics of one like this. I took a 20 lb propane tank and cut the top off. Then I layed out 3/4 inch holes every 1.5 inches with an alternating pattern. I cut the bottom out but left the original foot and dropped in a Weber little Smokey charcoal grate. This in total cost me 8 dollars. I got the old tank for free. It seems to burn wood like a champ. It measures 11.25 wide by 13 tall. I'm curious if anyone else has done this. I will add an ash pan and a handle tomorrow. What do you guy's think?

Ok so this is the finished product. I decided to use the top that I cut off as an ash pan. I had some threaded rod laying around and I cut three legs out of it. I welded them to the foot that I left on the bottom of the tank. Then I drilled three holes thought the soon to be ash pan and tack welded it to the rod. Then I added a handle from a old busted 5 gallon drum I had laying around. I really like how this turned out. Now I just hope it burns long enough for a good cook. If not then I guess I got a little portable cooker!

Attachments

Last edited:
How well has this worked for you? I have also intended doing something similar but wasn't sure the time would be worth the effort.

How well has this worked for you? I have also intended doing something similar but wasn't sure the time would be worth the effort.
It works amazingly well. Airflow and burn rate are great. Catches and holds ash just fine and it will outlast the drum. I don't even think the wholes are necessarily needed. They seem to help but I think it would burn fine without them. I get over 10 hr burns on about 6 lbs of lump at 225 to 250.

Back