It's All About Me, Time, Brisket, Fishing & Beer.

Kai Yaker

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Kai
I know there are a ton of threads out there on this; but I want to get something more recent.

I have a 16lb packer to do on Sunday. I usually go all night on my packers but I plan to fish tomorrow and know I will not be able to do that and then hang all night on a brisket (I am getting oldish). Beer may also be involved and hopefully there will be blood! Fish blood that is. So, I want to run hot and fast on this beef on Sunday, for Sunday night dinner.

I have drums, big green egg, and a YS640 to chose from. Thinking about using the YS640 for more of a fire and forget smoke and heat management. The brisket will probably be 12 lbs I would imagine once trimmed. I am not going to separate the point from the flat; although I will trim the big fat layer out as much as I can. I plan on leaving a bit of the fat cap in place.

My perimeters: since I am fishing all day tomorrow, I may end up having a few beers. Yes, yes, I know; fishing and beer, how odd. What a weird combination of things to do. They mix like gin and tonic, rum and coke, it's an unnatural thing; however, it's what I do; and I do it well...most of the time.

With that said, I would like to slay some fish tomorrow (I generally catch and release so I am totally not honest here), get a good nights sleep tomorrow night, then get my smoke on. I don't want to get up at o-dark-thirty for a brisket smoke. I would like to wake my fat a$$ up around 0700, get the meat on at 0800 and eat at 1800 (6:00 PM). It's all about the pit-master, huh, isn't it?

So what do you think? If I run at 350, maybe a couple spritzes, wrap in paper when the color looks good, I am thinking 7 hours or so. I would like to get it done in 7 hours so I can rest it for an hour or two before eating. Maybe 375-400? (I know, you can't do a smoke based on time, its about the meat temp and its feel. Got it, just looking for a general estimate here. I will get all touchy and feely with the meat when the time comes).

Thinking of using Kosmo's Cow Cover too. I generally just do salt and pepper so any thoughts on that would also be helpful.

I could have written this most in like three lines; but nooo, I went and wasted your time. Sorry...

Yaker!

I have used this method with great success

https://ausbbq.com.au/2015/01/26/hotnfast-smoked-brisket-in-six-hours-yes-you-can/

Kansas City based Mitch Benjamin is the man behind the Meat Mitch award winning competition barbecue team and sauce brand. Team Meat Mitch has taken out Grand Reserve Champion and First Place Ribs in the 2010 Wild Blue Kansas state championship, and competed multiple times at the American Royal. Meat Mitch sauce has won at both the Memphis in May’s BBQ Sauce contest and the world’s largest, American Royal World Series of Barbecue, and is also the sauce of choice for many professional competition barbecue teams. After winning both First and Second place at the “Gettin’ Sauced” Barbecue Sauce Competition and Festival in Austin, TX, Taste of the South Magazine declared Meat Mitch’s BBQ sauce the People’s Choice winner for 2012. Mitch is often found cooking for the Kansas City Royals baseball team who can’t get enough of his winning ‘cue!
Do you like hot and fast? On the Las Vegas Strip, YES, but how about in my barbecue pit…MAYBE! An in-vogue method of cooking beef brisket on the barbecue circuit is Hot and Fast – higher temperatures over a shorter period of time.

Enjoy the fishing

An active life outside of the backyard is why many of us own pellet grills. I am assuming the YS is a Yoder pellet grill. Just set it to something just short of 200, put it on at midnight or as late as you can stay up. Wake up whenever and you will be well on your way. When you wake up, adjust the temperature as needed to pull at 2 or 3 pm for a long cooler rest.

I have a 8.5lb post trim brisket going on around 7am tomorrow. On the tennis court at 8:30 until noon, then adjust temp for a 5pm pull and 1 hour rest. Or something like that. The very reason I have a pellet grill is so I can live a busy lifestyle and still be cooking while not chained to a cooker. Don’t get me wrong, when time allows, I love hanging next to the pit feeding logs but my schedule would rarely allow for that

Thanks everyone!

Titch, I like that WHOMP! Thanks for the link.

Chingador, it is a Yoder. I have the YS640s. I also got it for the convenience but miss my stick burner.

I was just cleaning the Yoder and the egg and think I will go a head and use the egg for the brisket. I have been using the BGE for beef, generally steaks, all summer and love the flavor it gives.

I think I will use the egg, with oak chunks, and keep it on the high side of 300-350 with a water pan. Let it roll from there and do a wrap in paper when it looks right. Should get it done on time.

Tight lines all!

Yaker

Back