It was a hot one yesterday!

Juggy D Beerman

Full Fledged Farker
How hot was it? I saw two hobbits on my sidewalk fighting over a ring. One of them grabbed the ring and threw it in my yard.
I saw a dog chasing a cat and they were both walking.

Then I saw two fire hydrants fighting over a dog.........

But seriously folks, it was so hot that when I went to set up my WSM for cooking some chicken, the temp gauge on the lid was reading 155F and I had yet to start a fire. I had 20 pounds of leg/thigh quarters and two five pound chickens to cook. I cooked two rounds of leg/thighs and one halved chicken in each batch. Each batch cooked between 250-280F and each batch took a little over two hours to cook. Since some pieces were done before the rest, I needed a Cambro to hold the cooked meat. I improvised and used my spare van. The temperature of the interior of the van measured 145F! Now the interior of the van smells like smoked chicken, but I did not have to fire up my oven or drag out a cooler.

Out of the original 30 pound, $20.00 purchase, I wound up with nine pounds of meat which translates into a 30% yield. All the meat was pulled and mixed. No rub, spices, bastes, or sauces were used. I am giving this meat to people who have different dietary restrictions and they can add their own flavors to the meat that they are allowed to consume. The skins and bones will be used for making stock at a later date as it is too hot to cook in my kitchen!

Cold Beers all around,

Juggy D Beerman

Heck man, your first 100*F are free right now. I know mine are. Does not take as long or as much fuel.

Yo Beeeeermaaaaan!

Great to see you buddy.

How hot was it? I saw two hobbits on my sidewalk fighting over a ring. One of them grabbed the ring and threw it in my yard.
I saw a dog chasing a cat and they were both walking.

Then I saw two fire hydrants fighting over a dog.........

But seriously folks, it was so hot that when I went to set up my WSM for cooking some chicken, the temp gauge on the lid was reading 155F and I had yet to start a fire. I had 20 pounds of leg/thigh quarters and two five pound chickens to cook. I cooked two rounds of leg/thighs and one halved chicken in each batch. Each batch cooked between 250-280F and each batch took a little over two hours to cook. Since some pieces were done before the rest, I needed a Cambro to hold the cooked meat. I improvised and used my spare van. The temperature of the interior of the van measured 145F! Now the interior of the van smells like smoked chicken, but I did not have to fire up my oven or drag out a cooler.

Out of the original 30 pound, $20.00 purchase, I wound up with nine pounds of meat which translates into a 30% yield. All the meat was pulled and mixed. No rub, spices, bastes, or sauces were used. I am giving this meat to people who have different dietary restrictions and they can add their own flavors to the meat that they are allowed to consume. The skins and bones will be used for making stock at a later date as it is too hot to cook in my kitchen!

Cold Beers all around,

Juggy D Beerman

Back