Is the Slow N Sear Plus worth it?

dadr4, so you had a S&S and use the bricks instead? I did figure that there are many more options with bricks as you can alter placement. And are those a special type of brick? Don't know if I need firebricks specifically or just any brick will do.
You need fire bricks.

dadr4, so you had a S&S and use the bricks instead? I did figure that there are many more options with bricks as you can alter placement. And are those a special type of brick? Don't know if I need firebricks specifically or just any brick will do.

What I had were homemade, but the same "D" shape made out of steel. You actually lose some capacity, due to the gap between the steel and the kettle. I'd already stopped using a water pan, but when I did, I used the two mini loaf pans
Standalone_1175X1290.jpg

as a barrier in about the same location as the S-n-S's. They stored in less space than the S-n-S, too.
I've used plain bricks, but they can absorb water and explode when heated. I use fire brick and paver bricks that were broken and free.

What I had were homemade, but the same "D" shape made out of steel. You actually lose some capacity, due to the gap between the steel and the kettle....

Mine snugs up right against the kettle wall -- no gap. It's angled back to be wider at the top like the shape of the kettle.

The small gap between the wall of your kettle and the SNS creates a level of insulation that prolongs your fuel especially on cold and windy days. The built in water reservoir adds moisture to the air which helps the smoke adhere to the meat as well as stabilizing the temperature. The thick metal also acts as a heat sink. The 100 or so dollars for many is well worth the convenience and superior performance compared with home made set ups. I've had my Plus for over a year now and consider it an essential part of my kettle. I plan on getting the DnG next.

The small gap between the wall of your kettle and the SNS creates a level of insulation that prolongs your fuel especially on cold and windy days. The built in water reservoir adds moisture to the air which helps the smoke adhere to the meat as well as stabilizing the temperature. The thick metal also acts as a heat sink. The 100 or so dollars for many is well worth the convenience and superior performance compared with home made set ups. I've had my Plus for over a year now and consider it an essential part of my kettle. I plan on getting the DnG next.

Each to their own. Heat rises, so it's mostly lost through the top. You use up more charcoals heating that water. By the way, you can save some fuel by using boiling water in the water pan.
I can sustain any temp I wish to use via how I set the vents. As for moisture, the kettle is basically a sealed environment, I've never had a problem with lack of moisture. In fact, I have a mess to cleanup if I don't use a drip pan. Do you keep opening the lid? I could see a lack of moisture being a problem if you do.
I can see using the S-n-S if you do a lot of steaks, undirect, then a sear. I do mostly longer, indirect cooks and use more of the grate than the S-n-S allows.
Again, whatever works for you. The OP asked a question, and I feel my past experience with the idea applies.

The small gap between the wall of your kettle and the SNS creates a level of insulation that prolongs your fuel especially on cold and windy days. ...

That makes sense. I get much longer burn times with the sns than I used to with just fire bricks.

That makes sense. I get much longer burn times with the sns than I used to with just fire bricks.

Did your position for the bricks match where the water well lies?
Quick Google got me this image.
20110506-grilling-tips-vents.jpg

Look at all the surface area that isn't covered by the S-n-S. That is where most of the heat is lost, since the piled up coal also maintains an air space for some of the cook.
Again, if you are happy, that's important. Me, I'd put the money toward a rotisserie.
I've used most of these coal arrangements.
www-bbqviking-com-charcoal-setup1.png

Bricks can improve most of them.

I ordered and received mine the week after I got my WSCG. If I am grill indirect, I use it. I have smoked with it once, but actually prefer the normal WSCG deflector plate way. Could I get by without it? Yes, there are ways shown above to get by without one. Do I like having and using it? Yes. Oh, and I have yet to use water with it.

One tip withhe SNS is to add boiling water to the reservoir so you don't have to heat it up. The coals don't rest against the kettle so they aren't directly affected by the temperature of the thin metal kettle. I've definitely experienced longer burn times with the SNS than without. Heating a bunch of standard bricks probably consumes more fuel and you could always go without water or just add sand to the SNS if youd like. My opinion is that it's a great add on with benefits worthy of the cost, but it is definitely not required.

$115 ? LM_AO.....

insert gif....useriousclark.gif

no way i'm paying anything close to a Benji fo dat !

I must be really stupid for not getting into the bbq smoker and accessory making biz.

I was wondering how long it would take for the naysayers to weigh in.

acabb624-cd28-462c-bec7-160592ea1386_400_compressed.jpg

$149.99 from Home Depot.
Where my money would go. Works well with kettle as is or with bricks. S-n-S, the coals would be too close.

I am no expert on the subject, but have read that regular bricks can explode if they get too hot. Concrete can too. Has to do with water trapped inside.

Correct. Shards everywhere. Hot shards if the lid is raised when it happens.

I have used foil to partition off the factory charcoal baskets from the other side. Not saying I wouldn't buy one if I had the money. Probably second to a rotisserie though.

What's up fellow brethren!

I have been looking into the adrenaline BBQ slow N sear plus for my weber kettle.

Would be great if anyone who owns one can chip in on advice and tell me from experience if it has made the kettle cook better.

Thanks

I have the G'rilla Que which is the same thing as the Slow and Sear but without the un-needed wall. And I literally use it every time.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDep6IBXF6g"]What's a GrillaQue?!? - YouTube[/ame]

I am no expert on the subject, but have read that regular bricks can explode if they get too hot. Concrete can too. Has to do with water trapped inside.

I'm certainly no expert either, but have not experienced that. For me they work fine. Maybe because I didn't know any better.

I'm certainly no expert either, but have not experienced that. For me they work fine. Maybe because I didn't know any better.

It's the same as using river rocks for a campfire. If you are sure they are dry, and you keep them that way, they will work. I used regular bricks, at first. Left them inside my backup kettle in direct sun for a while first to make sure they were dry. But they don't stand up to the heat as well and crumble. If you are buying them anyway, get fire brick. You can store fire brick in the open next to the grill or on that little triangle thing that otherwise is useful for little else.

I'm not sure I have anything to add other than what has already been said, but will give my 2 cents anyways.

I have the SNS with the open bottom. I resisted getting it for a long time because of the price tag. I used all kinds of different ways to smoke with my kettle, including fire bricks, water pans, etc... Each method worked.

With the SNS, it just does what other people are already doing with fire bricks and other charcoal management and makes it easier. It is a luxury item but it works. I have found it is easier to maintain constant temps over a longer period of time with the SNS than all other methods except for maybe the snake method.

Would I buy it again? Absolutely. Is it necessary? Absolutely not.

I have one and like it. With that said, I have other dedicated smokers that I smoke on that have a lot more room than the Weber Kettle so I don't use mine much. I do like that it keeps the coals off of the side of the kettle.

I would have really loved it back in the day when the Weber Kettle was my only grill. I might not have went on a crazy smoker and grill buying spree that I've done over the years.

Back