INteresting take on why a successful team will not be competing anymore

There is def a bad side to it. For some reason every time we have people over, or I bring something to work, people feel the need to give me their critiques and we cant even enjoy a family bbq without armchair judging.

There used to be a time when you ate, enjoyed it, had fun. I mean I still have fun but I cant imagine what some of the teams that have been around the block for year go through.

While he's not an easy guy to get to know, I've been around Bill at comps for the better part of ten years. There aren't many KCBS events near his home in Savannah, so competing means a lot of road time for Bill.

Perhaps the most important point is that he has a young family now, and he is facing the realization that missing out on these important years of development with his daughter because you are spending another weekend at a BBQ contest isn't a worthy trade. I think the critics should give the man a break. He was one of the first to compile lots of comp BBQ knowledge into a single package and make it accessible to everyone, and that was a significant contribution to our hobby. He's made a mark, and if now he chooses to move on, I say best of luck and it was good cooking next to you.

While he's not an easy guy to get to know, I've been around Bill at comps for the better part of ten years. There aren't many KCBS events near his home in Savannah, so competing means a lot of road time for Bill.

Perhaps the most important point is that he has a young family now, and he is facing the realization that missing out on these important years of development with his daughter because you are spending another weekend at a BBQ contest isn't a worthy trade. I think the critics should give the man a break. He was one of the first to compile lots of comp BBQ knowledge into a single package and make it accessible to everyone, and that was a significant contribution to our hobby. He's made a mark, and if now he chooses to move on, I say best of luck and it was good cooking next to you.

Every contest I've seen him at, he has his wife and daughter with him...

The times I've spoken with him he was always cordial with me. Then again, I am a scary looking farker. Right, Chad! (aka cpw):laugh:

• Thanks
Reactions: cpw
One thing to consider is this. Many times the "professional teams" are placed close to the turn in spot. This is a real advantage. Most contests consist of pros and newbies. I can assure you a pro will not turn in his product along with other pros. Usually entries are distributed to a table of judges as they are turned in Would you like your entry to be turned in against pros or newbies.. Some pros go so far as to count the entries as they are turned in so they have a good chance to be placed at a table with 5 newbies. I know it is supposed to be based on individual merit and you are not supposed to compare. But that is unrealistic.

KCBS specifically states that judging is NOT comparative. Judges score each entry separately, and they are not to compare the first sample to the second sample, etc.

Like Slamdunkpro said, have you ever been to, or judged, a KCBS event? It is 100% realistic. When I judge, I do not compare the entries, I judge each one based on appearance, taste and tenderness, just like I am supposed to.

In that email I see a few valid points, and a lot of rationalization that I don't agree with.

The beauty of is that each person gets to decide his own risk/reward ratio, and whether/how often to compete.

competing means a lot of road time for Bill. ...

Perhaps the most important point is that he has a young family now, and he is facing the realization that missing out on these important years of development with his daughter because you are spending another weekend at a BBQ contest isn't a worthy trade.
Then why not simply say so? There's no shame in that. We've had a couple of very slow years following our son's critical illness, and no one has said a single unkind thing (that we know of).

The thing is, confusing "hey I'm shifting directions" with a need to air sweeping indictments of something you have profited handsomely from is much like making a "blaze of glory" before being banned from a forum. It doesn't change a thing, provokes maybe a couple of eyerolls.

I feel his pain. I pay about $1,000 too, and do 95% of the work myself. A lot of hard work. When I cease not to be competitive, I will quit competition and turn to another avenue of BBQ.

There are some valid points about the expense of competition bbq... this is another reason why the various national bbq associations need to be contacting Big Poppa Smokers and work to bring The Guinea Pig to other parts of the Country

The Guinea Pig
Promoted by Arlie Bragg along with Big Poppa Smokers

A private back to the basics BBQ contest
Feb 22, 2014 Indio California

Remember when BBQ contests were about friends getting together to see who could cook the cheapest cuts of meat the best? Remember when a WSM was a big cooker? Tired of $800 contests? Tired of finishing 3rd and not getting any money? Big Poppa Smokers is here to try a new format. This, “back to the basics,” contest is essentially a cost-controlled contest with a redistribution of the prize pool, and a weekend in the Palm Springs area during peak season.

BACK TO THE BASICS

Here is the deal. This is a stripped down contest with a single entry fee of $400 that includes all your meat. That’s right, everybody cooks the same meat. Meat is assigned randomly by a ping pong ball draw. Meat provided is 1 choice brisket, a 2-pack of butts, a 3-pack of ribs and 9 chicken thighs.

Your $400 entry also allows you to stay on-site and enjoy the amenities of our host site, The Shadow Hills RV Resort (http://www.shadowhillsrvresort.com) for two nights, a Saturday night mega potluck, heated pool, exercise and game room... and it's even kid and pet friendly!

We are shooting for 50 teams with a $10,000 prize purse. But in the, “Back to the Basics,” series we pay the top ten overall and top ten in each category.

We are also hosting a Kid's Que and Dessert Competition. Kid's Que will have no entry fee, and any Kid's Teams that enter will be provided with a Mini Weber that they get to keep after the contest!

On Saturday, we are going to have a post-awards dessert potluck, all teams are welcome to contribute their best dessert dish! Pizza will also be available for teams during the pot luck.

The Guinea Pig is a KCBS competitor series event with KCBS scoring, rules, judging, and reps. It is everything you would find at a KCBS contest, except there is no team of the year or category points. Kelly and Kathleen McIntosh are the KCBS Contest Representatives for this event.

For more info contact Arlie Bragg

arlieque@comcast.net

This even was fantastic, and if you are fortunate enough to convince BPS to bring it to your region, you will be thrilled!!

I understand his thinking although i don't really see a need to announce it quite this dramatically.
But at the end of the day there are way more competitions and competitors every freaking year for a couple decades now so something is working.

as a person just gettign his toes in the comp side of BBQ, a lot of what he says is why new people fear comps. I know most of those fears are either in their (my) head or just myths, but the cost thing is real and with the way prices are going this is a concern.

Having said all that, at least this didnt end like a lot of "I quit" rage (minor in this case) posts in gaming forums.....followed by the inevitable snak reply of.....

"Can i have your Stuffz?"

There are some valid points about the expense of competition bbq... this is another reason why the various national bbq associations need to be contacting Big Poppa Smokers and work to bring The Guinea Pig to other parts of the Country

This even was fantastic, and if you are fortunate enough to convince BPS to bring it to your region, you will be thrilled!!

I like the idea of cooking one or two of this type of contest a year, just to see how everyone does with the same meat supplier. But, unless you are normally cooking a couple of Wagyu briskets it isn't less expensive. I also don't want to be trimming meat at contests on a regular basis.

I don't know Bill well but what interaction with him has been good. I have bought some spices from him and watched some of his videos. I have had a few brief conversations with him at contests. A lot was similar to Jacks Ole South cooking class.

Good business model. Take somebody's class then market the videos and techniques as your own.:rolleyes:

I like the idea of cooking one or two of this type of contest a year, just to see how everyone does with the same meat supplier. But, unless you are normally cooking a couple of Wagyu briskets it isn't less expensive. I also don't want to be trimming meat at contests on a regular basis.
The $400 price for So Cal to include the entry fee and meat, was reasonable. Typically the entry fees out here are between $250 - 350, and then adding around $150 for the meat provided. BPS stayed away from marketing it as cheaper, but rather, cost controlled.

The most interesting part of the contest was the results. There were many teams that performed very well that might not normally hear their names called. Everyone had the ability to win, as they each had the same quality and quantity of meat. Nobody was able to cook 4 briskets or 10 racks of ribs, just to get the best for turn-in, and this means that those who operate on lower budgets could be just as competitive.

The $400 price for So Cal to include the entry fee and meat, was reasonable. Typically the entry fees out here are between $250 - 350, and then adding around $150 for the meat provided. BPS stayed away from marketing it as cheaper, but rather, cost controlled.

The most interesting part of the contest was the results. There were many teams that performed very well that might not normally hear their names called. Everyone had the ability to win, as they each had the same quality and quantity of meat. Nobody was able to cook 4 briskets or 10 racks of ribs, just to get the best for turn-in, and this means that those who operate on lower budgets could be just as competitive.

I didn't factor in the So Cal 'tax'. Around here I would break even cost wise at about $325. Like I said, other than having to prep on site and not leaving home knowing that you have decent meat, I think this format would be fine. Getting a brisket with a packer slash down the center or 2 of 3 slabs being shiners would be unpleasant. I would cook one if we had it locally, but I wouldn't be in favor of totally changing the KCBS format.

BBQ competition is like any other hobby, or attempt to compete and win. Doing it just for fun, well I don't think you would really care if you won, or even heard your name called. If it is not fun to begin with (cooking meat in a competition format), don't do it.

For the most part, I am a one man team. The wife helps with the boxes and telling me I need to do something, and telling me I have had too many beers.

It is a lot of work for me, loading, unloading, driving, trimming meats, making sauces and all the rest of the normal crap. I (we) really enjoy it!

I do understand getting burned out on it, but that's just like everything else in life. Not too sure why the big deal and announcement of stopping.

Do what you like, like what you do.

wallace

<Brutal Honesty Mode>
I'm sorry but this sounds like the longer version of the "My BBQ is clearly superior but I never win so the judging must be fixed / biased / broken" whine.

I looked him up and in three years (37 contests) Zero Grands, One Reserve, two 3rds and some Category wins.

If he's trying to do it for a living (like he says) and his how to books and video sales are down perhaps it's because he needs to develop some flavor profiles, techniques and consistency that facilitate him placing a little higher and establishing some credibility for his products.
</Brutal Honesty Mode>

When I judge a contest I do it as per rules and worry only about the meat I'm currently judging and not the others. There is a certain degree of plain luck to winning or scoring high it seems sometimes the top players are certainly consistent and I think that shows the judging works (not perfect, but it works)

This hobby for me is just that, something I'm currently really enjoying and my family likes to come along. I'm mostly a one man band but my wife has really been getting into it lately. Its fun to do something different with her that we both have input.

I get what the person is saying and they essentially sound burnt out. As many of you have stated maybe its time to slow down or stop altogether.

I'm still having fun and yes its expensive if you want it to be. The entry fees are getting up there but I feel the promoters are trying to get what the market will tolerate. If we stop going they will lower the costs and in the other hand we like contest with big payouts.

As for pure/original/true...what ever its called besides what we turn in at a comp thats probably true. I hear many of the top teams say they dont like the stuff they turn in and thats a common statement.

Dear promoters.... can we get a contest where we turn in 4 meats? lets use the KCBS kinda.....you the promoter supply the meat (covered in sign up fees) and we cook it how ever we want. Toss the KCBS judging rules out, in-fact can we get all non KCBS judges :) or get them to ignore any and all training.... if it falls off the bone and it taste awesome then put a nine. I'd like to see us be able to cook it any way we want from solar to blow torch, invite creativity. Make it a contest about food and not how cooked it.

I would sign up a "BBQ-it your way" contest any day.

I wish the people's choice contests around here worked like they do in CA. Around here, it's a popularity contest so you don't have a real chance of winning anything unless you're local.

It's not a popularity contest in CA????????? :becky:

Back