THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Connor_Macleod

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Connor
Looking at the Pitts and Spits smoker discussed on this thread...

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=300750

I noticed just how short the stack is on the Pitts and Spits smoker in question, which got me thinking about the stack height on my current offset and how much I appreciate it.

The stack tip on my Big Phil's offset stands a full 6' 10" above ground level. I'm only 5' 10" on a good day (realistically more like 5' 9", but I like to claim I'm as tall as my wife who's a long-legged smokin' hot blond :grin:). Anyhow, with the smoke exiting the stack a full foot+ above my head, I really enjoy never having the smoke blowing directly in my face when I'm hanging around the offset. Plus I have done a lot of work in my day job developing natural gas turbine power plants, and I think tall stacks are cool.

After my current offset with its luxury tall stack, it would be hard for me to go back to a cooker where the stack was short enough to blow smoke right into my face.

Typically tall stacks have a better draft than short stacks. It's called stack effect and you can google it for a better explanation.

I had a pitts and spitts 24x48 many years ago and I have a workhorse 1975 now. There is no comparison between the two..the workhorse pulls a lot more air, is far easier to maintain whatever temp I want and is just a lot easier to use (firebox is way too small on the pitts). I also didn’t like the cover on the Pitts stack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back