THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good looking burger wrap!

Not to derail your thread but do you west coasters really go bonkers for In-N-Out?

I’m an east coaster and have eaten at In-N-Out on multiple occasions when visiting the west coast and it just tasted like another burger chain to me.

I’m wondering if it is like Tastykake in Philly. Used to be stellar years ago but now that they have been bought out and are distributed everywhere they are just average.

It depends what you define "another burger chain". In-N-Out is a quantum leap above any national burger/fast food drive thru I've ever had.

And while there's a SoCal burger chain I like considerably better,(The Habit) I think there's a lot that In-Out does right, for instance:

1. Quality - their food is as fresh as can be. Nothing you get at In-N-Out has been frozen. Whether it's the iceberg lettuce, bun, cheese, tomato or anything else on your burger, it's fresh, and good quality.

2. Your food comes to you HOT. Meaning, it's just been cooked, and hasn't been sitting around getting lukewarm.

3. Consistency - I've experienced no discernible difference between dozens of In-N-Outs I've eaten at in the past 2 decades. That consistency also applies to their menu. It's been the same forever, so you won't see chicken tenders at an In-N-Out, or other such thing. They found a system that works, and they've stuck with it all these years.

4. Secret Menu - even though the menu stays the same, there's lots of mix-n-match things you can do with it, like Jeremy just did. Its kind of cool to learn this secret food sub-culture that In-N-Out loyalists pass down to newbies.

My only complaint about In-N-Out are the fries. While they are fresh cut daily from skin on russet potatoes, they miss the boat for me, even when you order them crispy. They just don't have that crispy texture I like from a fry.

If given the choice between any national burger chain and In-n-Out, I'll take In-n-Out without a moment's hesitation.

It depends what you define "another burger chain". In-N-Out is a quantum leap above any national burger/fast food drive thru I've ever had.

And while there's a SoCal burger chain I like considerably better,(The Habit) I think there's a lot that In-Out does right, for instance:

1. Quality - their food is as fresh as can be. Nothing you get at In-N-Out has been frozen. Whether it's the iceberg lettuce, bun, cheese, tomato or anything else on your burger, it's fresh, and good quality.

2. Your food comes to you HOT. Meaning, it's just been cooked, and hasn't been sitting around getting lukewarm.

3. Consistency - I've experienced no discernible difference between dozens of In-N-Outs I've eaten at in the past 2 decades. That consistency also applies to their menu. It's been the same forever, so you won't see chicken tenders at an In-N-Out, or other such thing. They found a system that works, and they've stuck with it all these years.

4. Secret Menu - even though the menu stays the same, there's lots of mix-n-match things you can do with it, like Jeremy just did. Its kind of cool to learn this secret food sub-culture that In-N-Out loyalists pass down to newbies.

My only complaint about In-N-Out are the fries. While they are fresh cut daily from skin on russet potatoes, they miss the boat for me, even when you order them crispy. They just don't have that crispy texture I like from a fry.

If given the choice between any national burger chain and In-n-Out, I'll take In-n-Out without a moment's hesitation.

I was thinking more of chains like Johnny Rockets, Five Guys, or Stewards drive in.

I see that “the Habit” has a location about an hour from me. Thanks for the tip, I’ll give it a try.

Back