Impossible Chili

oldgfbbq

is one Smokin' Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
G-man
Over a year ago, I tried these patties cooked in a skillet and was surprised by the taste, but they were expensive. Costco had the patties priced $0.90 less than ground beef. With a rainy and cooler weekend, decided chili was in order.

To qualify for Qtalk and hopefully enhance taste, cooked everything on the grill before chili prep. After assembled, I thought it lacked beefy taste, not at all like what I ate from the skillet. Added some beef consomme and it helped. It's better than "just edible", but not my finest offering. If I do it again, will use some concentrated beef soup base rather than consomme.

Mixed in a little pepper jack cheese and enjoyed.

Lots of pron, thanks for looking.

Attachments

• ingrediets.jpg
    ingrediets.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 224
  • peptomgrl.jpg
    peptomgrl.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 222
  • patsgrl.jpg
    patsgrl.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 221
  • tomsgethappy.jpg
    tomsgethappy.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 221
  • pepnboard.jpg
    pepnboard.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 220
  • peptomhappy.jpg
    peptomhappy.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 217
  • crumble.jpg
    crumble.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 218
  • consumme.jpg
    consumme.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 219
  • allin.jpg
    allin.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 222
  • jackchz.jpg
    jackchz.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 217
You should be able to make a good pot of chili without any meat or meat substitute.
I know someone who used to make meatless chili and it was delicious. It was mostly a tomato based vegetable stew with different types of beans, hot peppers and chili powder.

I'd eat a bowl or two. That's a lot of flavor. I've read a fair amount of articles, books etc about chili. Depression era people often extended their meals. Current people extend too anytime they eat a leftover, it's just not Grapes Of Wrath Nostalgia, yet. Anyway- I've read in more than one place a popular migration westward dust bowl chili depression era extender was oats. Real oats, the one with texture. So much so if you hit the chili parlor at the right time it was mostly oatmeal with onion chili powder. I've sat and pondered this oatmeal chili on a small scale. In my mind I can make it taste good, in reality I can't make myself do it, someday.

ATTST- your dish looks tasty and with all those veggies had to be good. I'll take a bowl, a sleeve of saltines and whatever hot sauce you have on hand.

PS- please float one of those fire roasted jalapenos in my bowl. Shot of tequila would be nice too

Last edited:
PS- please float one of those fire roasted jalapenos in my bowl. Shot of tequila would be nice too

It did have a lot of flavor, thanks. You might check out Guy Fieri's "Mean Green Turkey Machine" recipe, our family's favorite Thanksgiving meal. It has a roasted pepper, cilantro, and tequila mixture put under the skin. He roasts his, I put mine in the smoker.

I quiver at the very thought of eating an Impossible Whopper.

I don't understand the entire premise of fake meat, and never will.

I don't understand the idea of vegetarians trying fake meat. If you want the taste of meat, then eat meat.

I sometimes wonder what food would be like in a dystopian world, and this just might be it. So, what would the challenges be? Here is an example, not enough beef taste for me, but still appetizing. Also, I'm not very interested in posting another wonderful brisket/ribs/chicken cook. I enjoy the cooking and eating, but 15 more photos is not really appealing to me at this moment.

I smoked bbq in a professional setting for 3 years, 6 days per week. That is not very long in professional terms, but it's over 1,000 briskets. Best part of it was not losing money, actually made a little, and the smoker is still in my garage, paid for, and increasing in value each year.

It's Impossible to make chili without meat. :p

The company that I work for was doing chili cookoffs around Super Bowl time. One year we had a really good turnout with about 20 contestants. Everything you can imagine for meat, from homemade sausage to venison. And one lady made tofu chili. I didn't sample any :wacko:

The company that I work for was doing chili cookoffs around Super Bowl time. One year we had a really good turnout with about 20 contestants. Everything you can imagine for meat, from homemade sausage to venison. And one lady made tofu chili. I didn't sample any :wacko:
Vegetarian is fine, but I also draw the line at tofu.

^^^^ Tofu goes great in spicy recipes. It soaks up the flavour very well. If you don't like tofu you probably have not had it in a fiery soup or stew.

Tofu has it's place, but if somebody comes along with an impossible lamb shank, I want to be first in line. Then possibly first in line to shoot them. Or, hopefully not.

Doubtful.

Ive had Tofu before. Reminded me of a dense dry scrambled egg. It wasn't bad in the dish, but it also wasn't pretending to be a meat substitute. I imagine that would have been really good in a spicy soup.

Back