I'm so disappointed in what I'm seeing tonight 🌶️🥧

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Nothing worth watching so I've been searching Frito Pie. I get several states, towns & places claim the dish. I get that there are multiple ways to make chili. I get that toppings are optional. What I'm disappointed in is the individual servings in the smaller serving Fritos bags. Standing it upright and cutting the top like your trimming bangs (back when you had hair) ain't right. Lie the bag horizontally and cut the long way, squish it lightly and fill it up.
Not once in my life have I ever heard it referred to as a Walking Taco. Not once in the real world. Frito Pie is a grand dish from Texas, or Santa Fe or Albuquerque or Illinois or some Route 66 Mother Road chili bowl joint.

Show some respect to the classics (and add jalapeno)

I personally liked the small frito bags for making chi chi chili when i was in prison. Larger bags didn't hold the heat in as well.

My central Missouri hometown has had a small, walk to the window "Home of the world famous Foot-long chili cheese dog" place for at least 40 years. The chili is meat chili. They also serve a frito pie. It is in a STYROFOAM bowl. They offer onions, pickled jalapeño and maybe sourcream to go in it. I would get a pie every now and then. It wasn't until 7 years ago, at a work lunch, that I heard the term "walking taco". They offered bags of doritos and fritos....no chili, just taco meat, midwest taco toppings and no instruction on what you were actually supposed to do. I opened it like a bag of chips...don't be mad at me Adams, I had no formal training :mrgreen:

My central Missouri hometown has had a small, walk to the window "Home of the world famous Foot-long chili cheese dog" place for at least 40 years. The chili is meat chili. They also serve a frito pie. It is in a STYROFOAM bowl. They offer onions, pickled jalapeño and maybe sourcream to go in it. I would get a pie every now and then. It wasn't until 7 years ago, at a work lunch, that I heard the term "walking taco". They offered bags of doritos and fritos....no chili, just taco meat, midwest taco toppings and no instruction on what you were actually supposed to do. I opened it like a bag of chips...don't be mad at me Adams, I had no formal training :mrgreen:

"Life's a dance we learn as we..........."
John Michael Montgomery

Here's a link to one version of the Fritos plus Frito Pie story. Short good read.

https://texashighways.com/travel-news/all-that-and-a-bag-of-chips-the-history-of-frito-pie/

As for the FPT aka Frito Pie Trinity of Fritos Chili and Cheese, the Trinity wasn't always in my life. We ate lots of Frito Pie growing up. Meat and chips for a family of six. Lots of cracker sleeves too. But I remember my first cheese topping. Teenage mid '70's Red River New Mexico ski trip at the main lodge served both chili and Frito Pie with a shredded cheese topping. American Melty cheese like Government Cheese or Velveeta. Dang it was good with optional white onion and jalapeno toppings.

Thanks Adams! That article also kind of answers my question of why Rosa's Tortilla Factory serves chili con carne on a tamale....being mid amaerican, I hadn't seen it.

imageService

Although I have never had Frito Pie, I do believe it could easily be one of the favorite things in my life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Back