THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

landshark530

Knows what a fatty is.
I received an iGrill2 for Christmas and I thought I would post a review.

The model I received came with 2 probes, but has the option to run 4 probes. The probes from Weber as insanely priced, and the reviews for them is less than stellar.

Fit and finish. The unit is plastic and is in a plastic/rubber base that has the magnet assembly. You have to pull the unit from the base to put in the 2 batteries. I removed the unit from the base to put in batteries and the unit will not stay snugly in the base. If I use the magnet to attach it to a leg on my smoker the unit will fall out of the base. A piece of tape or Velcro will fix this, but it’s a poor design.

Battery life is advertised at 200 hours. I have about 30-40 hours on my unit and am above 70%. Ten of these hours was below freezing while I was smoking ribs and testing the unit.

I did testing over a week and found that my cheap taylor probe from Wallyworld, as well as my probes from my 2 probe thermopro wireless unit also work with the iGrill2.

I tested them using different ports and found them to be the same as the igrill2 probes, and much much cheaper to replace.

My Thermopro probes are more than 2 years old and still work fine. Those that have issues with their probes probably for water into the probe where the cable enters the metal tube end of the probe.

Contrary to some negative reviews, my probes read within 1 degree of one another, testing different probes switching between different ports, and using different temps, from room temp to sub freezing, to 300+.

To prevent probe issues get some $3.00 high temp RTV silicone and seal the end probe where the cable enters it. You can also use the RTV stuff to make a handle on the end of the probe. This will waterproof your probes.

The igrill shows the temp for all 4 probes and you just push buttons on the face to scroll through the temps. I used the 4 probes to test my smoker with a baffle plate and get it placed correctly to maintain temps across the chamber.

To use the iGrill2 with your phone or tablet you must download the app from the app store, and you can only use the Weber version.

For some reason you can’t connect to the iGrill2 without activating location services. This is a privacy issue for many people and there is no logical reason for this device to know your location. I used an old android phone in airplane mode and it worked fine. I still had to download the app but once installed I just put it in airplane mode and kept wifi, bluetooth, and location services turned on.

You can not connect more than one device to the iGrill2. I tried and failed, most likely due to the bluetooth verification when it attaches to a smart device.

The bluetooth range leaves something to be desired. I did not test it outside but I expect it to be the advertised range as long as line of sight is not blocked. I used the unit on my deck and as long as I was within 60 feet with minimal walls I was okay. 60 feet with more than one wall and you will lose the connection. There is no warning beep or notification that a connection has been lost.

The app allows you to set high and low limits for each probe. The app will also graph temps for each probe, and you just hit each temp to cycle through the graph screens. If you have not cycled thru for a couple minutes it takes some time to (a full minute on my old moto x) to display the time graph. You have the option of setting a hi-low temp range with warnings for both high and low, or set a peak temp range. Each probe can have it’s own setting. When the alarm goes off the app and unit both emit the warning.

The graphing is a nice feature, but is also the weak link in the app. If you run a 8-10 hour cook, you can’t zoom into the graph to take a closer look at specific times or temps. So to track temp drops/spikes from adding fuel, changing intake settings, or opening/closing the unit you almost have top watch it live.

If you don’t have the app open all the time the temps show accurately but the graphs will show weird up and down temp drops and spikes, and you have to wait for the app to update the data. I hope that future app updates will resolve the issues.

The unit I have was on sale for $99.00 from Amazon. Better bluetooth connectivity/range or wifi would be nice, but the unit works as advertised and does a nice job.

I found most of these issues to be true as well but I still enjoy my igrill2. I don't use it as much anymore becuase my gmg Jim Bowie has wifi built in and has a meat thermometer standard on it. So when I connect to my cooker through the app I can monitor my meat temp as well as the temp of the cooker.

The igrill2 was designed before weber bought the company, I know the igrill3 got announced last week so we will see what direction weber took it into. The product demos that I saw show that the new weber grills have a docking port on them for the igrill3.

I received an iGrill2 for Christmas and I thought I would post a review.

The model I received came with 2 probes, but has the option to run 4 probes. The probes from Weber as insanely priced, and the reviews for them is less than stellar.

Fit and finish. The unit is plastic and is in a plastic/rubber base that has the magnet assembly. You have to pull the unit from the base to put in the 2 batteries. I removed the unit from the base to put in batteries and the unit will not stay snugly in the base. If I use the magnet to attach it to a leg on my smoker the unit will fall out of the base. A piece of tape or Velcro will fix this, but it’s a poor design.

Battery life is advertised at 200 hours. I have about 30-40 hours on my unit and am above 70%. Ten of these hours was below freezing while I was smoking ribs and testing the unit.

I did testing over a week and found that my cheap taylor probe from Wallyworld, as well as my probes from my 2 probe thermopro wireless unit also work with the iGrill2.

I tested them using different ports and found them to be the same as the igrill2 probes, and much much cheaper to replace.

My Thermopro probes are more than 2 years old and still work fine. Those that have issues with their probes probably for water into the probe where the cable enters the metal tube end of the probe.

Contrary to some negative reviews, my probes read within 1 degree of one another, testing different probes switching between different ports, and using different temps, from room temp to sub freezing, to 300+.

To prevent probe issues get some $3.00 high temp RTV silicone and seal the end probe where the cable enters it. You can also use the RTV stuff to make a handle on the end of the probe. This will waterproof your probes.

The igrill shows the temp for all 4 probes and you just push buttons on the face to scroll through the temps. I used the 4 probes to test my smoker with a baffle plate and get it placed correctly to maintain temps across the chamber.

To use the iGrill2 with your phone or tablet you must download the app from the app store, and you can only use the Weber version.

For some reason you can’t connect to the iGrill2 without activating location services. This is a privacy issue for many people and there is no logical reason for this device to know your location. I used an old android phone in airplane mode and it worked fine. I still had to download the app but once installed I just put it in airplane mode and kept wifi, bluetooth, and location services turned on.

You can not connect more than one device to the iGrill2. I tried and failed, most likely due to the bluetooth verification when it attaches to a smart device.

The bluetooth range leaves something to be desired. I did not test it outside but I expect it to be the advertised range as long as line of sight is not blocked. I used the unit on my deck and as long as I was within 60 feet with minimal walls I was okay. 60 feet with more than one wall and you will lose the connection. There is no warning beep or notification that a connection has been lost.

The app allows you to set high and low limits for each probe. The app will also graph temps for each probe, and you just hit each temp to cycle through the graph screens. If you have not cycled thru for a couple minutes it takes some time to (a full minute on my old moto x) to display the time graph. You have the option of setting a hi-low temp range with warnings for both high and low, or set a peak temp range. Each probe can have it’s own setting. When the alarm goes off the app and unit both emit the warning.

The graphing is a nice feature, but is also the weak link in the app. If you run a 8-10 hour cook, you can’t zoom into the graph to take a closer look at specific times or temps. So to track temp drops/spikes from adding fuel, changing intake settings, or opening/closing the unit you almost have top watch it live.

If you don’t have the app open all the time the temps show accurately but the graphs will show weird up and down temp drops and spikes, and you have to wait for the app to update the data. I hope that future app updates will resolve the issues.

The unit I have was on sale for $99.00 from Amazon. Better bluetooth connectivity/range or wifi would be nice, but the unit works as advertised and does a nice job.
Very good analysis !

Back