I took a class at a local specialty butcher last weekend

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Called "The Local Pig"- they specialize in meat from local (<100 mile radius from KC) farms, "heritage" pork, grass fed beef, etc and offer a variety of classes such as charcuterie, sausage making, pig butchery, or "all the above". I took the "all the above" class. Breaking down the pig was something I'm less familiar with and enjoyed learning about the process, though the class did not participate in chopping up the piggy for obvious reasons. We did make a few different kinds of fresh sausage, curing some bacon and ham, helped make some pate, etc. The bacon and fresh sausage was a little bit of a review in that I'd done it before, but it was good to see some different methods. We got sent home with quite a bit of meat either from the class or from the butcher shop. I enjoyed myself thoroughly - a good way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

They started the day out with some meatball subs from the adjoining restaurant called "Pigwich" and a bus tub full of beer - I knew it was gonna be good. They get their pigs halved I guess.

Then the head butcher walked us through the process he goes through to break down their pigs into the cuts they sell in the shop. They use seam butchery and it's all done by hand (no power tools).

Apparently this is quite the sausage stuffer...I guess it can do something like 800lbs an hour and handles the linking and everything. It's also quite expensive, from what I'm told. :shocked:

I had a couple Boston butts in the fridge that I picked up at Sam's last weekend and turned them into 4 different types of sausage during the week. I got some high temp cheddar cheese and wanted to do some sort of jalapeno cheddar brat. I roasted the jalapenos and some garlic on the grill, then mixed it in with AC Legg bratwurst seasoning and the high temp cheese.

All stuffed up - I need to work on my link size consistency.

Also did some chorizo using AC Legg seasoning, and then some "Blend 10" southern style pork sausage, and then just plain bratwurst using AC Legg. I forget which one this is.

12lbs / 4 types of sausage...got some eating to do. I'll probably give away at least half to friends and family.

Grilled up the roasted jalapeno garlic cheddar brats (mouthful) today - I think I may have gone a tad heavy on the cheddar, but it wasn't overwhelming. They tasted pretty amazing though.

These were the bone in chops I got from the class...got a decent fat cap on em, which I wasn't sure how would work out for eating.

First time ever using the GrillGrates with the "pointy side up". Makes purdy lines I guess. Also, turns out that fat was deeelicious...got nice and rendered, crispy on the outside and melty on the inside. I'll chalk that up to the quality of pig.

Gotta keep the cook lubricated, afterall. :thumb:

Thanks for looking :becky:

I bet that was a fun class. A hog is perfect for seam butchery, as are many species of wild game so for a hunter it's been practiced at home for generations.... but it's funny how many people actually practice this method (to some degree) without realizing what they are doing or the advantages. Say you buy a pork butt, remove the money muscle group of muscles and cook them as a roast.... this is seam butchery. Isolating a particular muscle or muscle group and cooking it to perfection. Separating dark muscles and white muscles on a chicken or turkey can also be a form of seam butchery.

I started doing that when I break down butts for sausage so I know how to better trim up a butt for competition, where to find the various tubes, etc.

What an awesome class and a really cool experience.

Your own adventure at home also looks fantastic!

It's a shame that they are making a big deal about local, quality meat, then not taking the time to scrape the hog.:tsk:

As far as the class goes, everyone that cooks should learn how to cut up an animal. Luckily I was helping cut up hogs, when I was smaller than the hog.

I wish I could find a class like this in my area.... Sausages look killer! excellent job!

Back