I still don't like smoked chicken

It was smoked with apple wood chunks in a gasser since I was doing yard work while this thing was cookin. I didn't care enough for it to fire up my WSM or Bandera. So I already had some prejudice with it.

Bought a Vortex for the Weber last week and a wing cook showed promise. No wood for smoke, just lump.

It takes a hot temp to render the fat out of wings, 375-425. As long as there is fat under the skin, it won't be crispy.

Wings especially need to be fried. I keep trying to get close on the grill, but so far I have come up way short. The best wings are double fried. First at low temp to par cook, then chill or freeze for later, then a second hot fry to get them super crisp without over cooking the meat. Yum! You can smoke chill fry, but I don't think it is worth it if you are going to cover them in sauce.

One of my favorite places in Nashville smokes them and then fries to order. Best wings Ive ever had

At my first BBQ competition I had a catastrophe with my grill... was trying to cook my chicken at 300F but I loaded it up with a full chimney of lit charcoal and the grill quickly shot up to 600F. I waited but even after shutting down the vents I couldn't get the temp to drop. I'm approaching 50 minutes until chicken turn in so I said screw it, and I grilled (with a few pecan chunks) it at 600F for about 40 minutes or so. Crispy skin, great flavor, and I took 15th place in chicken. haha

I agree that grilled / roasted chicken is better than smoked. I see my buddy do 225F cooks on full chickens and it makes me want to cringe.

I smoked a whole chicken yesterday on my gasser using applewood. Just under 3 hours at 225 ish. Tasted delicious and the skin was crispy!

Ron in Woodstock, Ontario

I don't think you guys have had chicken that's been smoked properly. I do whole chickens and quarters all the time on a WSM and they're delicious. Olive oil, dry rub, WSM (no water pan) at 275-325 for 1-2 hours with a few chunks of hickory/apple/mesquite until it hits 165-175. No basting or sauce at all.

The skin ends up dark and crispy with all the rub flavor, meat is extremely moist and it virtually falls off the bone. Same goes for doing this rotisserie style on a Kettle or similar grill and also for doing a turkey (whole, whole spatchcocked or in pieces).

Back