"I Like Big Butts!" Throwdown ~ Cooks Thread For My Pork Breakfast Griddle

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
ASydVij.jpg

I started with a BIG bone-in butt, but it didn't stay that way for long. I separated the money end, the horn muscle group around the blade bone, and the strip of muscle hidden in the fat cap that covers the tubes. I cubed the rest for other uses. Total time for this method, cooking and resting was 8 hours. It's a great way to have a wonderful pulled pork meal plus.... I get a few pounds meat to grind for sausage or use in chili or stew.

nYAEjae.jpg

I set up the Smokey Joe for the snake method, and used it to cook the money muscle. For insulation, I set the money muscle on the meat side of that fat cap muscle. The pit temp stayed about 260°. At 3 hours it was ready to wrap, and 2 hours later it went into the hot box.

zIUbbii.jpg

Xgd1qyC.jpg

Q7tlgHQ.jpg

Meanwhile.... my Small Egg, set-up for an indirect cook, was smoking the horn. The cook time to 155° was also 3 hours, but it took about 3.5 hours wrapped to be tender enough to pull some plugs.

rLs6rdV.jpg

Getting ready for the skillet I sliced the money end, scraped and pulled the fat cap muscle, and pulled a few plugs.

sOPZFMR.jpg

c6cOOpF.jpg

The hash has pulled pork, onions, red and orange peppers added to the potatoes. The money slices were not sauced since I planned to dip them in yolk. The griddle is a 10" Wagner that has a wire bail instead of a handle.

16YJv0Z.jpg

Last edited:
Great job on the cook, that plate with the biscuits and eggs looks amazing.

Back