I just love cooking with fire.

SMOKE FREAK

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Craig
And there just happens to be a "Live Fire-Grilled" throwdown going on right now.

So I picked up a couple of cheap pork sirloin roasts from the store. Pork sirloin comes from the "south end" of the pork loin and doesn't always offer the best quality meat. But for this project I thought it would do fine.

Cured the porkers in Tenderquick, brown sugar, black pepper, and chipotle pepper for 9 days. A quick soak and then coated them in this mix (three parts Mad Hunky and one part pepper) that I gave a spin in the Magic Bullet to make it a fine powder.

Got the pork on the spinner with just enough coals and peach wood to keep the lid temperature below 150. Coals are on one side of the grate and the rest is covered with foil to direct all the air towards the coals. Rode there for 90+ minutes.

Bumped up the temps to 225 for another 90 minutes.

Around 3.5 hours I increased the coal bed and added some more peach wood to get the fire I wanted. Sprayed the pork with duck fat and continued spinning with the lid off for the remainder of the cook..

IT of 150 and I said done enough.

Rested the porkers and then chilled them (uncovered) overnight.

Then they met up with my P.O.S. slicer.

Built a sandwich with Italian bread, Havarti cheese, BACON, and a pile of pork.

And its time to eat.

Pork turned out extremely tender and tasty. A bit sweet. A little spicy. And plenty smoky.

Man, I just love cooking with fire. So many fun options.

Thanks for checking out my cooking.

Last edited:
This is awesome! Cooking with a live fire in my 22 Weber kettle is fun indeed; what cooker is that? That sirloin is mouth watering

It's a 22" Weber with the Weber rotisserie. The spinner doesn't see too much action but the grill runs a lot :thumb:

Every time I do live fire cooking, I will at some point look over at my wife and drunkenly say "you know, I really enjoy this. It's fun".

It's almost enough to convince me to move to a stick burner.

It's a 22" Weber with the Weber rotisserie. The spinner doesn't see too much action but the grill runs a lot :thumb:

Somehow the pictures made it look larger and much deeper than the standard 22, caught me off guard

I’m calling that eye candy and belly candy. In honor of live fire we’ll call that a spit instead of a rotisserie so you’re caveman status is in tact.

Great job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Beautiful stuff there Craig!, you had me when you said Peach Wood, How hard is it to locate lately in Mizzou?, it's almost impossible to find this last year in Texas. Love the stuff

Looks great! I have yet to cure a pork loin but it has been on my to-do list. Hopefully this pushes me over the top.

Beautiful stuff there Craig!, you had me when you said Peach Wood, How hard is it to locate lately in Mizzou?, it's almost impossible to find this last year in Texas. Love the stuff

A friend of mine had a huge bag of peach chunks in his garage. not kiln dried. Dunno why. He's a pellet guy. Sold it to me for 7 bucks. :thumb: Score!

Looks great. I cure a whole pork loin each year before Christmas to include my rendition of Canadian bacon in my meat handout to friends and family - that end is the one I prefer to eat slices from :thumb:

Looks delicious, Craig!
I haven't used RichT's rub in ages, I'll have to see if I can find some.

Back