I give up. Done with the damned pizza stone. Going cast iron.

I love my Lodge CI pizza pans. (It seems wrong calling them pans... they are more like pizza skillets.) They are pretty heavy-duty. I like the fact that they have handles too.

We make the pizza on the pan, and then put it in the smoker. It has always worked fine for me. Hmmm... maybe I'll make pizza tomorrow. :becky:

We make the pizza on the pan, and then put it in the smoker. It has always worked fine for me.

I've never had luck doing that with my Lodge. But then, I've never done it in a smoker. I assume your temps are relatively lower than the usual oven or kettle temps and taking more time to cook?

I'm done, whipped, I give up. Can't get the hang of the stone. The problem is the need to preheat and then transfer an already built pizza to the stone. It turns into a big-assed taco.

I just ordered a cast iron pizza pan from Camp Chef. I'm thinking build it, grill it, cut it, and serve it from one pan. Then just wipe the thing off, throw on a coat of Crisco, do a quick re-season like I do with my skillets and press.

Anybody got any experience with the cast iron pizza gizmos?

VR,
Harold

Harold, I feel your pain, but don't give up!

When I first attempted to slide a pizza off a wooden peel, it was utterly nerve wracking. I still get a little nervous, but I've figured out a nearly fool proof way for it to work, provided your dough is NOT sticky. I used to use semolina flour as it's much finer than cornmeal and doesn't change the texture profile like cornmeal does, but now that I'm cooking pizzas on a stone that is hotter than 600 degrees, it burns. I tried flour last time, and it works great.

1. When you work your dough into a small round, make sure your board is heavily floured. You don't want any sticky spots on the dough. Once the dough has been stretched into the size you want it, put it on the peel. At that point, take the peel by the handle, and give it a little jerk back and forth. It should slide around easily. If it doesn't move, your dough is too sticky and or there's not enough flour on the peel.

2. Build your pie quickly, and don't ever use warm sauce. I did this once on a metal peel and the results were disastrous. The Missus and I still laugh about it to this day! That was the first and last time we used a metal peel, as they're really meant for pulling pizzas out of the oven, not launching them.

3. When your pie is built, position the edge of the peel just over and close to the outer edge of the stone, and give the peel a quick jerk forward. The pizza will make contact with the stone, and as it does, pull the peel back toward you in a smooth motion, and you're good to go!

One thing you could consider to really get the hang of this is to practice with a batch of dough you don't plan to use to make pizzas with, in other words, you want to master the above steps, and you can either toss the "practice" dough or if it still has life left in it, make bread sticks or something. Once you start getting the actual feel and experience of this working, it will all come together for you.

If someone had shown me these pictures some years back and said there were pizzas I made, let alone launched from a wooden peel without any cornmeal or parchment crutches, I never would have believed it. If I can do it, so can you! (And no, I didn't cook the pizzas on the screen, either. It just makes a great resting surface so the pie doesn't get soggy)

IMG_0832_zpsb0548ed2.jpg

6252014BlackstoneMargheritaPeezza_zpsc0af5291.jpg

IMG_0641_zps9f31a608.jpg

Last edited:
I've done the peel, the corn meal, the parchment paper, tried voodoo, pixie dust, danced around naked and clucked like a chicken... still couldn't get it.

Why would you need to preheat cast iron? I thought the purpose of preheating the stone was so it wouldn't shatter.

OK, this is one case we don't need pictures :pray:

Consider using aluminum/steel pizza pans or screens instead of stones or cast iron. I've used all three methods; gave up on stones after a few spectacular breaks:

IMG_1614.jpg

Went to cast iron from there:

bbq_pizza.jpg

It didn't take long for me to figure out that my lack of skills with a pizza peel (and the fact it severely slowed down the process when making multiple pizzas at the same time) made cast iron not an optimal solution. From there I tried pizza pans (available at your local restaurant supply house) and haven't looked back. Here's just a few examples:

IMG_3257.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_2980.jpg

With a light coating of olive oil on the pan, the crust (usually fresh dough from Trader Joe's, but occasionally homemade) spreads out more evenly, crisps up nicely, and I can make several at once which cuts prep time down a lot (and allows me to cook more than one at a time, if I happen to have the grill space).

IMG_1036.JPG

But then, what do I know...

Show off :razz: Look at those cookers! You did this just to show them off :clap2:

But seriously thank you for this. Gives me another idea for pizza. Those cast iron pans look awfully nice. Maybe I have a gift idea for people :heh:

If you really want to go with a pan of some kind, get a pizza pan (thin aluminum for quickest heat transfer and very little thermal mass) and put that on a stone or pizza steel (big preheated heatsink that won't cool off when the cold pizza hits it, giving you better oven spring in your crust).

I do build my pizzas right on the peel, I just give it a shake every now and then to keep it from sticking. Plus a nice shake right before I slide it off, never a problem.

Thought I'd toss in my 2 cents. I've seen some
People Do a quick bake of the crust
1st then place toppings & put it back on.

I just discovered californiapizzastone.com. 100% guarantee against breakage. Have not used it yet but will report back once I do

I don't do much regular pizza, but things like this :

Pie3044.jpg

Tomato & cheese pie....kinda like a deep dish, I guess....

Pie3052.jpg

One thing I've found @ higher heats is if you leave it sit in the C.I. for very long it keeps cooking the bottom....others may know more about that aspect, but I either eat fast or get it out of the pan......maybe something to keep in mind using cast.....?

I don't do much regular pizza, but things like this :

Pie3044.jpg

Tomato & cheese pie....kinda like a deep dish, I guess....

Pie3052.jpg

One thing I've found @ higher heats is if you leave it sit in the C.I. for very long it keeps cooking the bottom....others may know more about that aspect, but I either eat fast or get it out of the pan......maybe something to keep in mind using cast.....?

Hey, I ordered one of those pie pans too. Did you get that from Camp Chef?

VR,
Harold

You need a blast of heat to make the crust crispy, that is why you need to preheat the stone. If you cook at high enough temp then I guess a pizza pan would do it. I agree with others here, sounds like the dough is too wet. Don't be afraid to put a good amount of flour on the bottom side of the dough and use a lot of corn meal. I think the peel and stone do the best job once you use enough flour and corn meal.

I use this: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/EXO-Super-Pizza-Solid-White/dp/B001T6OVPO/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1410974589&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: EXO Super Peel Pizza Peel in Solid White Ash - 100% Made in USA - Cook's Illustrated Recommended: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41NubuYTeNL.@@AMEPARAM@@41NubuYTeNL[/ame] Never had a problem in the 3 years I've been using it.

Matt

I've done the peel, the corn meal, the parchment paper, tried voodoo, pixie dust, danced around naked and clucked like a chicken... still couldn't get it.

Why would you need to preheat cast iron? I thought the purpose of preheating the stone was so it wouldn't shatter.

A pizza screen solves all your challenges. Build it on the screen and that is it. I still use my peel primarily, but if I'm doing multiple pizzas the screen is handy for the 2nd or 3rd :clap2:.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Winware-16-Inch-Seamless-Aluminum-Screen/dp/B001CI8VHS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410975048&sr=8-1&keywords=pizza+screen"]Amazon.com: Winware 16-Inch Seamless Aluminum Pizza Screen: Pizza Pans: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51QfrzF11vL.@@AMEPARAM@@51QfrzF11vL[/ame]

Back