THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WilliamD

Full Fledged Farker
So earlier this morning; around midnight, I was preparing to do a late night/early morning cook with a brisket that I thought would be uneventful...boy was I wrong.

So here's my brisket. Nothing special; a 7 Lb Choice from Costco. I injected with an injection made from 2 cups water, 1 TBS Beef Better than Bouillon, 2 tsp Worcestershire, 2 tsp Onion powder, 2 tsp Garlic powder and 1/2 tsp Sriracha Powder for a kick. Exterior Rub was just a basic AP rub with extra cracked black pepper added. Used 4 Chunks of Hickory. Lit the coals at 12:30 AM

So here it is now 2:30 AM and I am sitting outside like an idiot in 28º weather still trying to figure out why I can't get my smoker past 240...(I was trying to reach a cook Temp of 260º

3 AM and still no luck. Had to make a decision so I threw the brisket on at 240º and decided to "go with it". Temp dropped to 235º so I scattered to remove the charcoal and replace with fresh. For the second time this morning I donned "the idiot hat" because I used coal from the same bag as previously used. Dumped coal again and replenished from a new bag...then the temp swings began. I don't know why but I rocketed up to 285º. I thought......this is going to be baaaaaaaaaaaaadddddd!!!

While playing see saw with my smoker vents, Brisket hit 160º so I wrapped. Somehow I was able to dial smoker in at 265º so I kept it there....by 12:30 PM brisket hit 200º so to my surprise it probed soft so I pulled it.

I let it rest for 2 1/2 hours and was expecting the worse.....An oversized teeth cleaning chew toy for my dogs...but it didn't look too bad!

The final product....not too bad after all. I don't know how...but I just got lucky!!!

Wondering if your smoker will roll through the grass? Looking to make a stand for my similarly sized vertical.

Brisket looks great!

Todd

Wondering if your smoker will roll through the grass? Looking to make a stand for my similarly sized vertical.

Brisket looks great!

Todd

Thx Todd ...and yes it does very well (Roll through the grass); that is why I went for the angled leg extensions....rolls easier over terrain with greater stability.

Looks like you learned that temps don't matter. Brisket looks pretty good.

That looks very similar to the one I cooked yesterday, and mine was all haywire, too. Turned out pretty good after all.

Smoke where the smoker wants to roll. Your food will be better and you'll stress less...

My WSM liked 275*. My LSG cabinet likes closer to 250*.

Starting out at 240 and settling in at 265, sounds like a pretty consistent cook. Good work on scrambling and fighting through the issues. Id say to not sweat the small swings so much, get it fired up and let it settle in. Smokers have their own personality. The brisket looks great.

rb

Back