I built a SJP Gas Smoker

smokeandbeer

Take a breath!
Sorry for the upcoming long post, but I need to explain what got me to where I am at. As some of you who know me from the past, I like to tinker with stuff. THIS THREAD shows the original Frankenweber I built awhile back. Anyway, a few years ago I bought 2 Smokey Joe Platinum's from Ace Hardware during a Christmas sale for $20 each after rebate. I was never really happy with the way they cooked, as the temps wouldn't get much above 400 for grilling due to the faulty design of the vent holes. I couldn't find a used WSM, so I decided to get a ProQ stacker and turn it into a smoker. I won't bore you with all the details, but it never really worked to get decent stable temps as a smoker either. So it sat in the garage for the past 2 years. I recently did score a WSM and had no need for a wood smoker, and was at the point of pitching the SJP in the trash until I saw a gas conversion a guy did over at TVWBB, and was inspired. I had an old Go Anwhere gasser, so I started tinkering again, and here is the result.

I drilled a 7/8 inch hole between the air vents on the right side for the GA burner tube.

IMAG0508.jpg

IMAG0511.jpg

IMAG0514.jpg

I secured the burner tube on the opposite side with 2 angle brackets bolted together and bent down slightly. The vent cover was permanently attached with a bolt from the outside, which also holds the gas burner bracket in place

IMAG0506.jpg

IMAG0505.jpg

IMAG0509.jpg

I had previously installed SS bolts in the bowl to accommodate a standard 18.5 cook grate, but in this case installed a spare 22.5 charcoal grate I had over the burner tube. On top of the grate, there is a small wood chip smoker box installed under the deflector plate from the GA gasser

IMAG0517.jpg

IMAG0518.jpg

IMAG0519.jpg

The stacker middle section has brackets from an old ECB installed for water pan and mid level grate support. Then there are 3 one inch SS bolts at the top for an upper grate.

IMAG0532.jpg

IMAG0533.jpg

IMAG0538.jpg

IMAG0543.jpg

The finished product.

IMAG0550.jpg

IMAG0555.jpg

I did a dry run yesterday, and with the smoker chip box full and some water, I was able to get a good stable 240 (setting the dial 1/2 way between low and medium) and got great smoke for about an hour from the chips.

I am not a huge fan of gas smokers, but I am very pleased with the results and it gave me a project to work on built out of stuff just laying around the garage. Once I get a cook done on it, I will report back with the results.

Thanks for your interest!

Very cool. What make and model thermometers did you use?

I love my gas smokers! Great job! :thumb:
Now you can make a batch with charcoal and one with the gas smoker and compare.

Nice work! Where did you get the Stacker? I can only find one place online selling them, and the seem a little shady.

You know, I've had an idea for a combination gas grill and smoker that I've wanted to build for a long time now. Those burner tubes look perfect for the job, but where can I get the manifold(s) and valves? I'd just throw something together but I'm allergic to being exploded.

EDIT: Also, nice job!

I like your style! Nice work!

When people ask "why?" we say "why not?" and "because we can!"

I've got all the parts except a ProQ Stacker, but I'd be more inclined to convert an SJP to grill. Have you used it as such?

You know, I've had an idea for a combination gas grill and smoker that I've wanted to build for a long time now. Those burner tubes look perfect for the job, but where can I get the manifold(s) and valves? I'd just throw something together but I'm allergic to being exploded.

EDIT: Also, nice job!

The burner tube from the Go Anywhere was the perfect length with the 1 inch stainless brackets I used. If you can't find a used Go Anywhere gasser on CL the parts I could find with a quick Google search are:

BURNER TUBE

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Weber-3643-Go-Anywhere-Regulator-Assembly/dp/B00023CX00"]REGULATOR[/ame]

I like your style! Nice work!

When people ask "why?" we say "why not?" and "because we can!"

I've got all the parts except a ProQ Stacker, but I'd be more inclined to convert an SJP to grill. Have you used it as such?

Mine could not be used to grill, because the mounting of the burner tube is too close to the grate to allow for a deflector. However, if the original 7/8 hole for the burner were lower, I'm sure something could work. I am considering this grill conversion for my other SJP, so if I proceed I will PM you with the details I encounter.

Okay, so no pics but the first cook was not a good one. Did some spare ribs using the 3-2-1. The flame went out just short of 2 hours, but I was minding it carefully so caught it right away. Could have been a disaster if I wasn't keeping a close eye on it. At 3 hours I went to take the ribs off to foil, and they had virtually no bark and looked mushy. I fired up my kettle with the Smokenator, and was able to recover to the point that they tasted okay, but I was unimpressed with the presentation. Next time, I will just fire up the WSM and be done with it. I don't know what the future holds for the SJP, but I doubt it will be a go to device in my regiment.

Back