I am stalled again on pork shoulder picnic roast

Not yet but hey it's finally climbing in temp so eventually. I think I have to really analyze this cook and see what can be done to modify this smoker and turn it from junk to an amazing smoker. First things first no more briquettes ever again for this smoker, a new thermometer for the dome is second. Maybe make a new fire basket for this thing. Also a partyQ battery powered stoker to run the temps. Maybe some sort of home made insulation blanket with straps to secure it but with hole for the door to add fuel. Just some thoughts nothing set in stone. Down the road maybe I can get some new handles from Marty leach but that can wait. I think those would be a nice touch but purely cosmetic.

Finally done and some pron for good measure and the bark is amazing. John Henry maple rub and dizzy pig pineapple head rub

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 74
Just a suggestion, so take it or leave it........

.......before you go all out analyzing & modifing the cooker, give it one good try operating it as is......

Set up to cook & do a practice run with no meat......just a pan of cold water on the cooking grate to simulate a lump of cold pork going on.....

Get the airflow running real good, just use a dinky $4 oven therm on the cooking grate.......

Start the burn.......vents mostly wide open to start & all 3 bottoms to 1/2 open after 20 minutes.......
TOP ALL OPEN ~~> The fire needs to exhaust cleanly.......

30-40 minutes in, check the therm & be aiming for 300f....adjust a little from wherever you are to get there....

Even try it with briquettes, just make sure they are bone dry & not from a bag that's been exposed to moist air......throw some wood chunks in, buried just like you would for a cook...........

The idea is to get good strong running start, THEN add in the cold piece......after the initial adjustments, NO fiddling.....NONE.....just see how it behaves.....leave it basically alone to do what it does......

Maybe the longest butt I've ever done needed a lot of extra coal added......15 hours.....in driving rainstorm that was unexpected.......
But, once I started, it gonna get done......

No Pig Will Ever Get The Better Of Me !!!

Coal coming up on once around.....

3-31-2013Porkampbeans004.jpg

Next morking when the rain broke, dead on 250......

3-31-2013Porkampbeans005.jpg

Finished piece going into hold.....

3-31-2013Porkampbeans011.jpg

The point being is to get a good solid burn going & keep it as stable as possible.......not easy in cold wet weather, but all the extra blowers & therms & head scratching & coal changing in the world won't replace a good solid burn @ the start.....

One more pic of it pulled as I eat it lol. I think it is the most tender I have ever gotten it and with blue hogs smokey mountain sauce it is farkin amazing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 78
Looks pretty tasty. Thanks to you and all for posting this. I always learn something from the cooks of others and the input they are given.

Not to pile on here but to me there are no negatives to hot and fast. I pretty much go between 300 and 350 on everything. I don't even know what a stall is!

Back