THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cpw

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Chad
Tested out kale as a garnish for the first time this year, and I'll be using it again. We'd been using parsley as our pork garnish, and kale was by far easier and looked just as good. This box took me about 5 minutes to put together, and we cleaned it up a little bit before turn-in. We also used a combo lettuce/kale box for brisket, and I actually liked it better than what we'd done in the past with parsley/lettuce because the kale tucked in a little better.

Anyway, if anyone is on the fence about kale, give it a try!

Attachments

After several practices we ran with it at our contest this past weekend in Council Bluffs. Ended up with a 7th in chicken, 2nd ribs, 6th pork and 11th with a dry brisket and 3rd Overall behind 2 purty good teams, so I dont think it hurt us at all, might have even helped.

This spring i struggled to put together nice looking kale boxes the first couple times I tried them but after taking a different approach to building them I am now building great looking kale boxes. I will definitely be using kale this year.

After several practices we ran with it at our contest this past weekend in Council Bluffs. Ended up with a 7th in chicken, 2nd ribs, 6th pork and 11th with a dry brisket and 3rd Overall behind 2 purty good teams, so I dont think it hurt us at all, might have even helped.

Nice cooking this weekend Fred! How bout you or Tracy put together a video on how you build the box using Kale and share on the Brethren. I meant to stop by your trailer in CB but time got away with me.

Care to share how you built them that quickly? :p

For this box, all I did was use a pair of scissors and cut abut 1" tall slices around the tops of the leaves, and curled them up, and stuck them in the box. Once I got enough in there I just sort of shoved the pieces where they would go until the box was full. Pork's the only box I ever did a full parsley box and that would take 20-30 minutes depending on how picky I felt like being.

I won't ever use anything but...unless mustard greens become legal. We had some wind this last weekend in Warsaw, IN and I had a couple boxes get tumbled in our tent which was also tumbled....long story short, when I opened the box to see the damage, the kale was almost perfect. I spent 10-15 seconds fixing it. If that had been lettuce or parsley, I would have had completely rebuild the box.

For this box, all I did was use a pair of scissors and cut abut 1" tall slices around the tops of the leaves, and curled them up, and stuck them in the box. Once I got enough in there I just sort of shoved the pieces where they would go until the box was full. Pork's the only box I ever did a full parsley box and that would take 20-30 minutes depending on how picky I felt like being.

How much kale does it take to do a box? I need to play with this.

I can get almost 2 boxes out of one bunch. I take 4-5 with me depending on how the color is but always end up with too much.

Yep. I bought 2 bunches to play with, only used about half of one for the pork box and the brisket box (kale was only around the outside).

Back