Hunsaker Drum or Primo XL???

Bacchus2b

is Blowin Smoke!
I have about $1,000 in spare change to put towards a new toy, and I'm looking for feedback on getting either a very lightly used Primo XL with stainless cart and a bunch of accessories or a brand new Hunsaker Drum smoker with two grids.

I already have enough smokers and grills covered in my current assortment of toys, so not looking for any particular function. I've never owned a Kamado-style cooker and thought the Primo XL would be fun to play with. I like the idea of shutting it down and being able to reuse lump, but I'm also aware of the airflow limitations. Pizza on a Kamado also sounds fun.

Hunsaker intrigues me as well and they seem to produce excellent Q. I'm a relative newbie to hot and fast other than using my PBC, and the Hunsaker holds a lot of appeal from that perspective. My main concern here is that I will like it enough I will end up buying several more!

What would you purchase???

Oh man, two great but different cookers. The drums make for fantastic smokers (low n slow and hot n fast). You can cook at higher temps and even grill on them... but that’s not really what they are designed for. Kamado’s can both smoke and grill and everything in between. I will say this though... in my opinion, if smoking is important to you, the drums run circles around the kamados because they have MUCH better airflow. To my tastes, the low n slow flavor profile from kamados is a campfire-stagnant-smoke flavor. I just don’t find it desirable. Others will disagree [emoji3061]

Last edited:
IMnotalwaysHO

Since you have multiple bbq devices, that will make great bbq, go with the kamado. I like the idea of making pizza in the grill at 800* or being able to sear a good steak.

I love my Primo for grilling, so versatile due to the shape. Since it seems like you have several smoking options Im going to echo the previous posters and say Primo. Required accessories IMO are diffuser plates and rack, and cast iron grates for at least one side. I have not found the elevated grates to be very useful.

That being said I really liked my Hunsakers and plan to own another at some point. Ill probably use one of their DIY kits and a drum I supply sometime. What sets them apart to me is the air intake, grate, and hinge systems, and of course the vortex basket. Plus Mark is a pretty good dude too :thumb:

As a guy that has 3 hunsakers and xl egg.....in you instance I'd say get the primo since you have a pbc. Love my egg for the variety of cooking, especially love it for pizza :-D.

My vote is to go with the Primo. It will put you in a place in between the PBC and PK. You will have some new things to think about. I own a drum, offset, Primo, pellet. They all have their own uniqueness. The ceramic cook is another profile to your backyard game.

Depending on how my income tax returns come back, maybe I will get both!

I appreciate the input. I've been watching this Primo XL for sale on Facebook Marketplace for months with tons of accessories including heat diverter, cover, cast iron divider, etc. as the price keeps dropping....

On the other hand, the Hunsaker is light enough to shove in the back of my SUV and go mobile, and I could use it for competition if I wanted.

So many smokers, so little time!

I'm with Robb on this one. I've had a kamado, a pbc and have a Hunsaker. All great cookers and different but Hunsaker hands down. More capacity, versatile, extremely responsive, refined and clean flavor profile plus easy to move around and transport when needed.

Oh man, two great but bit different cookers. The drums make for fantastic smokers (low n slow and hot n fast). You can cook at higher temps and even grill on them... but that’s not really what they are designed for. Kamado’s can both smoke and grill and everything in between. I will say this though... in my opinion, if smoking is important to you, the drums run circles around the kamados because they have MUCH better airflow. To my tastes, the low n slow flavor profile from kamados is a campfire-stagnant-smoke flavor. I just don’t find it desirable. Others will disagree [emoji3061]

If it was me, I would go Hunsaker but I have no desire to own a ceramic grill even though a lot of people love them. Plus you can sell the PBC and make more room on the patio.

Primo IMHO since you already have smokers and grills in your collection, but no kamado cooker.

Back