Humphreys Pint

What temperature variance do you see between the bottom rack and the top? Thanks for the suggestions!

This actually adjustable. There is a "vent" on the inside in the back and you adjust the flow to regulate temps from top to bottom as needed. I have just recently been playing with mine. Doing a cook this weekend and will try to remember to post the outcome as I play with the temps.

Thanks. Where are your ribs in this process? Separate smoker? Is that a time thing or space constraint even with the 4 racks?

I do ribs on a 22 WSM. It's not a space issue. Ribs were one of my best categories and I didn't want to change too many things up when I got the pint.

Plus i just like to have some extra space on the pint to play around with. Same thing as was said above. Brisket is in a full pan and butts are in half pans. I can move them up or down the racks depending on if they are cooking fast or slow.

A whole KCBS comp can be done on a pint with the right timing pretty easily.

This actually adjustable. There is a "vent" on the inside in the back and you adjust the flow to regulate temps from top to bottom as needed. I have just recently been playing with mine. Doing a cook this weekend and will try to remember to post the outcome as I play with the temps.

That would be great. I would like to be able to get it dialed in so that I have a 300F zone and a 275 zone...that is me being pretty picky I know!

That would be great. I would like to be able to get it dialed in so that I have a 300F zone and a 275 zone...that is me being pretty picky I know!

That will be no problem! I have run my Battle Box as high as 350 degrees in the top rack and my Pint Plus with permanent water pan at 300. Each unit only had about a 25-30 degree difference top to bottom.

I can do a whole comp on four racks in mine too, no issue at all. By the time chicken goes on the big meats are out of there and resting anyway. I do two butts, one brisket and two racks of ribs, the chicken is in a half pan. Butts are in half pans and brisket in a full pan.

You guys that only cool 2 racks amaze me. I moved from 4 to 5 racks this year, and if I had a 6th hook I might cook 6! I just don't feel confident that I'll get enough bones to fill up a box with 2 racks.

I do ribs on a 22 WSM. It's not a space issue. Ribs were one of my best categories and I didn't want to change too many things up when I got the pint.

Plus i just like to have some extra space on the pint to play around with. Same thing as was said above. Brisket is in a full pan and butts are in half pans. I can move them up or down the racks depending on if they are cooking fast or slow.

A whole KCBS comp can be done on a pint with the right timing pretty easily.

Makes sense. Thanks!

Any issues with airflow with cooking in pans? Butts in half pans?? Do you need to flip them at all? Also do you put wire racks inside the pans or on top? Sorry for all the questions, just looking into it myself for cleanup purposes. Thx!

Any issues with airflow with cooking in pans? Butts in half pans?? Do you need to flip them at all? Also do you put wire racks inside the pans or on top? Sorry for all the questions, just looking into it myself for cleanup purposes. Thx!

Ive found there are some airflow problems when you put more than one rack full of pans (half or whole). After a while the cooker evens out but at first the top racks are way hotter than the lower racks (50+ degrees). Usually takes about 1-2 hours for mine to settle out. Just play and adjust your timeline accordingly.

I use the wire racks to keep my butts and mm out of the juices but I don't bother with brisket. There's not enough liquid to mess with the bark on top of the flat.

I'm not a great cook by any means. These are all just things I personally do with my pint that give me the best results.

I use the wire racks to keep my butts and mm out of the juices but I don't bother with brisket. There's not enough liquid to mess with the bark on top of the flat.

I have a Pint as well. Are you cooking just the (brisket) flat, or a whole packer? Either way, if you're just laying the brisket in a pan is it fat side up or down?

TIA,
Mike

I bought a pint a couple weeks ago and I adjusted the damper in the back of the cooker halfway and put temp probes on the top rack, middle rack, and bottom rack to see how different there were and I have to say I am very pleased.

Set point of 275:

Top rack was 272 with thermoworks DOT
Middle rack was 270 with bbq guru
Bottom rack was 266 with the maverick et732
Humphreys dial thermometer in the door was 275

Love this cooker so far, my only complaint would be that it takes forever to heat up. Does anyone have any suggestions how to heat it up quicker? I have tried it without water, tried adding boiling water in the pan and had the same results.

Thanks,
Damon

Weed burner. 5 minutes and its up to 250. Leave the firebox door open while getting started. If I use water I get it really hot before adding to the pan. Only run a couple of quarts normally, at most. Usually run without.

Yep, torch the innards with a weed burner. Personally I never have, it is usually up to temp in 45 minutes or so. I may just to conserve fuel on start up, why not. I run without water and with four large fire bricks in the slide out pan.

I have a Pint as well. Are you cooking just the (brisket) flat, or a whole packer? Either way, if you're just laying the brisket in a pan is it fat side up or down?

TIA,
Mike

I'm doing a whole packer fat side down in the full pan. Again, brisket isn't my best category so take that with a grain of salt

Love this cooker so far, my only complaint would be that it takes forever to heat up. Does anyone have any suggestions how to heat it up quicker? I have tried it without water, tried adding boiling water in the pan and had the same results.

Thanks,
Damon

When using a bbq guru it heats up a good bit faster than without a fan. I have a 10 CFM fan that pushes way more air than if I just left it open to draw air on its own.

Also a weed burner is the fastest way by far if you want it to heat up even faster.:rolleyes:

When using a bbq guru it heats up a good bit faster than without a fan. I have a 10 CFM fan that pushes way more air than if I just left it open to draw air on its own.

Also a weed burner is the fastest way by far if you want it to heat up even faster.:rolleyes:

I have tried it with and without the fan and the quickest it has gotten to set point is 1hr 40mins. So that's why I was wondering if there was a trick. Still learning it, I will get it figured out. Weed burner may be the answer. Thanks guys.

I have tried it with and without the fan and the quickest it has gotten to set point is 1hr 40mins. So that's why I was wondering if there was a trick. Still learning it, I will get it figured out. Weed burner may be the answer. Thanks guys.

When bringing up to temp, leave firebox door open for a little while. Also make sure your exhaust is wide open. Close door after 15 minutes or so. Then you can start closing down the exhaust a little until it is down to about a quarter open.

Though, I'm still learning myself. I'm an old school stick burner. Bought a Qubed Pint, still learning but happy so far.

Hello everyone. I am looking at getting a Humphrey's Pint for competitions. I currently cook on homemade UDS's that I really like, but would like to upgrade. Does anyone use these for competitions, and if so what would you consider to be the pros/cons of this unit. Is there any "options" that would make it better/easier to use for comps? Any advice is always welcome, but I am really looking for feedback on using this particular unit. Thanks in advance!

I am not sure where you are located, but Humphreys will be at the American Royal BBQ this year and are currently taking orders on units to be delivered to the BBQ. You will save yourself shipping costs if you pick up from the competition.

I will be picking up a new pint to go with my two battle boxes.

Wish I had known about the American Royal thing a few weeks ago before placing my order. Freight from Maine to Colorado is a beast.

I wonder how those units they are bringing in October fit in their production schedule with units already on order. I promised myself I'd be patient but I'm finding that hard to do.

Back