THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seed

Knows what a fatty is.
I am an avid home smoker. Sometimes I'll cook for 60 people or so and also do homemade sausages. I am looking for some advice on which to get, the Pint or the DownEast. I have a 30" by 30" area on my deck to put the unit. I won't move it anywhere most likely. It will be outside always as well and am concerned about weather as well. I need it to be taller as I have a crappy back so bending over isn't ideal so if I can get it lifted that would be good. I am thinking 8" casters. Any tips or advice welcome.

I come from a 22" WSM for about 7 years and am tired of the cleaning and breakdown process on it. I just don't have the room. The lid has fallen twice now about 10 feet and has two dents on it and managing that with the meat is challenging cause I'm space limited. This will sit on a small deck just off the kitchen.

I was originally going to go for a chubby G2 cause a friend of mind just scored a fat boy, which is sweet, and thought those are great smokers. Then of course the more I read the more I thought this will be my last smoker for another 10 years I hope so I looked at the pint from Humphreys. I want to use the slide out water tray as well. If anyone has pictures of their pint or DEB that would be great. I'm new here so take it easy on me.

Thanks!

Seed

I bought the DEB for versatility, I can hang sausage, bacon, and hams as well as my normal cooks...

Deb2_zpswkdwzqj9.jpg

Sounds like you need the size of the DEB. I bet they could put it on a cart to get it up a little higher.

Go to the sales and venture section under Northeast Professional BBQ lots of up close pictures of everything you want.

If you cook for 60 you may want to consider one of the cubed versions. I have a beast and if it's your only cooker it might get tight. If it's something like butts a regular beast would be fine, but if you're doing ribs or sides too it can fill up fast.

If you cook for 60 you may want to consider one of the cubed versions. I have a beast and if it's your only cooker it might get tight. If it's something like butts a regular beast would be fine, but if you're doing ribs or sides too it can fill up fast.

thanks jaycubs. When i do the larger cooks it's always pork butts. Most racks I've done are probably 6 at one time and don't see doing many more than that I think.

Alec got a very good point, maybe a Qube'd smoker might be better for you.

I have the downeast beast and absolutely love it. I would rather have the extra space and not use it, then need it and not have it. I know Humphrey's has different size feet if you are going to set it up and forget it, but if you plan on taking it anywhere, or constantly moving it, definitely want to go with some wheels, and does tend to get top heavy. The way you plan on using it, will dictate what additional things you might want to add to it. I know I just cooked 9 racks of St Louis ribs, 2 racks of chicken quarters and still had room for 2 trays of baked beans. Hope this helps.

Back