THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I wrapped pieces from a broken fire box from a ceramic cooker and put in my water pan. I ran for 12 hours and here is how much fuel burned. Four of the hours were at 300 to 325. Then mid 200's.

Last edited:
Also not sure if your aware but humphreys is now offering the same style of grates that you made. They may be more expensive than what you spent to make your mod though. Still waiting on my smoker now the count is at 23 days
Yes I have looked at the Humphrey's S.S. rod grates. But for me and the way I cook. The rods go the wrong way and the grates are heavy. Even without food. I prefer to pull a grate out and when using a large spatula I go across the grate holding/stabilizing the front of the grate with one hand. Not directly into/towards the smoker. Just works better for me. My reason for making my own. Mine are very light, and have handles. I made one and found I prefer the Weber style for most foods I cook. So I made more. Though I still use the expanded metal ones for some foods. I will be making at least one hanging rack soon. I've been looking forward to try hanging ribs, chicken etc in the Humphrey's like I do my UDS. Just to see how good/bad it works.

It is a long wait. But you will probably really like yours when you get it.
As far as the Flame Boss 100. It still randomly over shoots by 50* PIA

Last edited:
update

Humphrey’s Down East Beast Flameboss 100 vs the BBQ Guru Digi ODX2
The Flameboss 100 will come up to the set temperature and not over shoot by more than 8 degrees IF the set point is at 275* or lower. When the set point is above 275*, the Flameboss overshoots the set temperature by 40 to 50* everytime. Even using firebricks as a heat sink. I have tried multiple exterior exhaust settings getting the same results. The interior exhaust at the factory setting.
I purchased a BBQ Guru to try out and see if my overshoot problem is me or the controller. My first try with the BBQ Guru, no overshooting, none. The viper fan goes into a “cycle mode” before the set temp has been reached. Where the Flameboss fan would remain running at 100% even when at 10* before reaching the set temperature. I would believe most likely causing the overshoot problem.
I was in contact with Flameboss about what I was seeing. They do not have a lot of experience with a Humphrey’s insulated smoker and their product. Mostly BGE etc. I tried their suggestions without any results.
IMHO, the Flameboss 100 has a better access and readout since everything is displayed constantly on the screen. The BBQ Guru cycles thru the displays. Not a deal breaker, just noting.
I am able to intervene the Flameboss 100 overshoot problem by under setting my cook temp by setting it lower by 50*. Then once the food is on, and temps have stabilized. Reset the cook temp. But that is a PIA for the cost spent for a unit that is supposed to actually control required temps.
So far, I'd have to recommend BBQ Guru for a controller and not the Flameboss 100.
Anyway, that is my experience. Hope it helps.

Back