How to smoke wings

Another idea for you that's worked well for this farker:

I whip up a batch of dry rub with SPOG + cayenne + paprika. About 4-5 Tbsp go in a bag with 20-30 wings (we're talking single pieces here... not just with the tips clipped). I shake that about to get a good coating... maybe add a little... maybe not.

I like to smoke mine over hickory, and I typically put 'em in at 350ish for a solid 60-90 minutes with a turn about 1/2-way through.

If I'm not happy with the skin, I toss 'em on the gasser for a quick 375-400 turn of about 2-3 min each side.

I usually toss these in a "doctored" buffalo sauce of:
- Texas Pete Buffalo Sauce
- Garlic Powder
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Ground Cumin

Just another thought and idea that might tickle your fancy.

Enjoy that great looking cooker!

I inject with a weak buffalo sauce (mostly margarine or butter) a little rub of your choice, smoke over cherry wood a couple of hours then drop in the fryer to finish off and toss in a proper buffalo sauce.
Best wing you will ever have.

Chicken wings are becoming like pizza. There is no wrong way in making them, style or flavor. I made these at a BBQ comp in Buffalo, ny that took 4th out of 70+. Trim your wings (seperate the drums from the flats) and cut off the winglets. Add your favorite rub place in smoker that's going 275 - 300. They will take 1 1/2 - 2 hours. If you want the skin to crisp you can transfer them to a baking sheet and place under the broil for a few minutes. Serve as is or add your favorite sauce. At this comp I melted pepper jelly and gave the wings a bath in it.

I make my own rub with equal parts onion powder, garlic powder, coarse ground pepper, cayenne, and this stuff called Inca Fire Salts, slather the wings in some olive oil, then sprinkle on the rub. I usually cook indirect at 300-350 for about 40 mins, flipping them after 20. I always use sugar maple wood. Then I finish them over direct heat to get some char and take them up to around 200. That way the bones break apart nicely and the wings are nice and juicy.

I can't begin to imagine how many batches of wings I've cooked. I'm always tinkering. I don't really like smoked wings but I really like barbecued wings.

When grilling, I think prep is everything, and by removing excess fat and skin I get a flavorful and crispy product. After trimming I make a little cut in the joint so the pieces snap apart easier. I use either a dry rub and let them sit in the fridge a couple of days, or a marinade and let them sit for a couple of days.

VgIX2Pk.jpg

1HCbXlh.jpg

For smoking, I like the convenience of using my leg/wing rack, very even cooking and no turning. The longer time allows for the fats to render out and the skin to tender up.

82dUwCy.jpg

Or sometimes I'll make up a batch of the Dizzy Pig Crispy Wings

HSU2g9x.jpg

lfEofQS.jpg

I mix Frank's hot sauce and Alabama white sauce. I like to call it the great white buffalo. It's good. I usually rub with salt lick rub and cook at 400-450 on an old smokey. Indirect for 30 minutes or so then sear to crisp the skin.

Doesnt get better than smoke-fried. Smoke them normally (still go light on the wood ala normal chicken) but once they are ready, drop in the fryer to crisp the skin.

Prepare to be king of the wing

You beat me to it!! He could even smoke them the day before then just bring a fryer the next day and fry the previously smoked wings. They are amazing.

Just my personal opinion but... Get you some Alabama white sauce and slather it on in the last couple of minutes of a low and slow or after you pull them off if hot and fast. It soaks in the skin and crisps it up and the flavor is killer. It will be a hit, guaranteed.

(Stolen photo)

IMG00042-20101114-1122.jpg

That is my favorite way to do smoked wings. The flavor of the sauce compliments smoked chicken perfectly.

Chicken wings are becoming like pizza. There is no wrong way in making them, style or flavor. I made these at a BBQ comp in Buffalo, ny that took 4th out of 70+. Trim your wings (seperate the drums from the flats) and cut off the winglets. Add your favorite rub place in smoker that's going 275 - 300. They will take 1 1/2 - 2 hours. If you want the skin to crisp you can transfer them to a baking sheet and place under the broil for a few minutes. Serve as is or add your favorite sauce. At this comp I melted pepper jelly and gave the wings a bath in it.

I agree with you, wings are pretty cheap so just tinker with them until you find a method you like.

I'm gonna try the melted pepper jelly, sounds very good

I'm going to smoke some wings tonight. Anyone got a good recipe for this alabama white sauce? I'll try it half of em and report back.

That is my favorite way to do smoked wings. The flavor of the sauce compliments smoked chicken perfectly.

Something about the way that sauce soaks into the hot skin turns it into magic! :biggrin1:

I'm going to smoke some wings tonight. Anyone got a good recipe for this alabama white sauce? I'll try it half of em and report back.

Would love to hear the opinion on it after the fact. You can dunk them in it hot or brush it on at the last few minutes it's on the grill to get the same effect. It absorbs into the chicken, so it's not coated completely like a regular hot wing sauce would look.

http://southern.food.com/recipe/big-bob-gibson-bar-b-q-white-sauce-373289

I mix Frank's hot sauce and Alabama white sauce. I like to call it the great white buffalo. It's good. I usually rub with salt lick rub and cook at 400-450 on an old smokey. Indirect for 30 minutes or so then sear to crisp the skin.

I'm definitely trying this tonight or tomorrow. Will post up the results. :biggrin1:

Alright I'll try Big Bob's on some wings with plowboys yardbird and normal wings with hdd and franks. Might throw on some legs too depending what's on sale at the store on my way home.

Back