THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

John I. Que

Knows what a fatty is.
Any thoughts on how to season a new pit? We're cooking on a new Rebel 28 this weekend in North Kansas City and will only have Friday afternoon to season it. The last time we seasoned one we sprayed the inside with PAM vegetable oil spray and cooked some chicken. The PAM stinks and I just wondered what better methods there are.

Peanut oil is what I used in my BWS and Crisco on the Yoder. Anything along those lines will work. Got any bacon fat?

Won't vegetable cooking spray work just as good? What's the benefit to animal fat? I have a seasoning coming up in the near future as well.

I no longer use cooking spray on anything because the oil breaks down too easily (must be the volatiles in the compressed gas or something). I was raised on bacon grease and I'm still walking this lovely planet. Love the stuff. Really pretty stable. I'd just get a few pounds of bacon, cover every square inch of grill surface and let 'er rip for about 3 hours. Plus, you've got a bunch of bacon at the end. What could be better?:-D

Eat Ba Co N periodically!

I no longer use cooking spray on anything because the oil breaks down too easily (must be the volatiles in the compressed gas or something). I was raised on bacon grease and I'm still walking this lovely planet. Love the stuff. Really pretty stable. I'd just get a few pounds of bacon, cover every square inch of grill surface and let 'er rip for about 3 hours. Plus, you've got a bunch of bacon at the end. What could be better?:-D

Eat Ba Co N periodically!

Not opposed to animal fat, just want to know if it works better and what the benefits are.

I like the bacon idea :thumb:

Back