How much meat in the freezer is to much?

Got rid of the chest freezer a few years back. We had no idea what was buried way at the bottom of the freezer, we found items buried down there from 3 years ago.

So IMHO it is only TOO much if you don't have a vacuum freezer type solution. That stuff makes frozen food last damned near forever. As long as you can freeze it without too much air in the bag you are goo0d to go for QUITE some time.

I tend to buy when meat is on sale as well. Right now I have 3 pork butts, two briskets, and who knows how many pounds of venison steaks, roasts, and venison ground meat. So, not as bad as some of yall but still a decent amount.

That is an imaginary thing,like having too much charcoal,too many smokers/grills,too much money or not enough friends to cook for!!!.If you have no friends,cook it up and make some!!!:wink:

My freezer is almost empty. 9 choice/prime brisket, 2 butts, 2 chickens, 1 pork ribs, 5 breasts, huge pack of thighs, dozen wings, pack of legs, 1 beef back ribs, no telling how many different types of sausage. I'm sure I forgot something. Only 3 at my house and 2 don't eat beef.

It's nice to see I'm not alone with that habit. I have 3 butts, about 10 steaks, 10 pounds of merquez (french/arab. Sausage), 6 pounds of shark filet and some chicken legs in the freezer.

Too much? If you can't close the door, I guess that's too much.

Up until a couple months ago, we had a side by side refrigerator in the kitchen, an over under in in the garage, and a "Kimchi" refrigerator in the dining room. With all that, I was fighting for space with the wife's Korean food for anything that I found that went on sale. So, I went out and got us a freezer and proclaimed that the top two shelf's were mine.

I don't think I have done too bad on filling up my shelves. There's four butts, three beef short rib plates, about 11 bags of 2 dozen each wings, about 10 racks of SLC ribs, some sausage, oxtail, chicken thighs, lobster tails, tri-tip, ribeye, frozen burger patties, and a couple bags of leftover meatballs and PSB.

That reminds me. I need to get some briskets in there...
I hate an orgnized freezer. Takes the fun out of making a decision.

What I learned from this thread is that I'm not weird for always looking at the meat section for deals and freezer stuffers. Haha.

Right now I'm the only one who loves Q in my house so I have to be careful not to overload on stuff I can't fit in my stomach lol.

If the meat is going bad (getting freezer burned to the point you don't want to cook it) you're buying too much. Or if you can't close the freezer door. Other than that, you're good!

I have an 8 cft. chest freezer that now contains 400 lbs. of moose in it. I couldn't fit any beef or pork in it no matter how on sale it is.

If it's not being cooked on a regular basis, why have it? Sales are nice, but to just have the meat seems wasteful. The fresh stuff tastes better.

I only go to Restaurant Depot as needed, so when I am there, I will stock up since it is cheaper to buy in bulk. I cook ribs at least once a month, sometimes just for us (2 racks), and sometimes for the bar (4 racks), so they'll get used. Butts and Briskets are more of a special occasion, but hard to pass up when they are almost a dollar less per pound then normal. Even at that sale price, I won't keep more than 4 in the freezer. Everything I have will get ate before it goes bad and is vacuumed sealed so will taste fresh when thawed. Plus, this way, if I get a wild hair and decide I want to make a butt tomorrow, I don't have to run to the store...

Does anyone ever stop buying meat due to having to much? I have a bad habit of buying meat when its on sale whether I need it or not. It worse being that I work 1/2 mile away from a two grocery stores. So I check often for sales. Just did an inventory and right now I have 3 pork butts, 8 slabs of ribs, and 2 briskets. There are only two of us. Thinking I need to stop buying for awhile and start smoking more? Or can a guy never have to much?

Let me just put it this way. As long as you are talking about having too much meat in "the" freezer, you are not there yet. If I started thinking about a 4th freezer, I might start worrying.

I have an 8 cft. chest freezer that now contains 400 lbs. of moose in it. I couldn't fit any beef or pork in it no matter how on sale it is.

haha.... Same problem here, if you want to call it a problem. Took my 14yr old son out for his first moose hunt. He got one ........and so did I. Gave a half of one of them away but I still have a moose and a half. No shortage of meat in my freezer. Just need to get a wild boar so I can make some sausage:thumb:

Back