THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fat cap down, bones down unless I'm cooking a bunch of ribs, then I roll them. In that case bones up AND down.

For ribs I cook bones downs, anything with a fat cap (trim to 1/4") gets scored and fat cap up. Most of the fat ends up rendered and the bark is always great. For really fatty meats I usually use a pan under the lower grate.

Disagree to your heart's content.

It'd sure be boring if there were only one way to "BBQ RIGHT", now wouldn't it?

I may have to try this fat cap up thing - even though my heat comes from below. Something to it or never to be repeated? I'm dying to find out which.

At home on my Backwoods Party G2, I cook fat side up. I like the way the fat cap caramelizes. Gives it a great flavor IMO. For competition fat side down always.

For porkbutt, I remove the fat cap completely. It gives more real estate for rub.

Cooking on a pellet smoker. Fat cap and bones down, big end of meat towards stack for even cooking

Well, I decided to see if I can rotate the brisket every hour to see what results I get. Was hoping it would be more even across the board but it looks like ****. Started fat side down and rotated every hour. This is after a full second rotation.

Maybe it's the oven-like racks but man, I hate these tan lines. Brisket at 160F before wrapping in BP.

3b94044f16a3b1553b50884bb0b635b8.jpg

thanks so much!

Seems we overthink stuff sometimes- for a variety of reasons: being new and "everything is iffy - omg- what do I do?" OR you are one of the ones who take it too seriously and "every single facet of your cook is life or death"

Me? I'm just cooking bbq- it's pretty simple and relaxing- if you let it be that way.
If you are stressing over a cook- why?

Dude, I am grateful for the attitude adjustment! THIS is what BBQ is ALL about!:clap2::clap2::thumb:

Back