How do YOU... BBQ??

Fat cap down, bones down unless I'm cooking a bunch of ribs, then I roll them. In that case bones up AND down.

For ribs I cook bones downs, anything with a fat cap (trim to 1/4") gets scored and fat cap up. Most of the fat ends up rendered and the bark is always great. For really fatty meats I usually use a pan under the lower grate.

Disagree to your heart's content.

It'd sure be boring if there were only one way to "BBQ RIGHT", now wouldn't it?

I may have to try this fat cap up thing - even though my heat comes from below. Something to it or never to be repeated? I'm dying to find out which.

At home on my Backwoods Party G2, I cook fat side up. I like the way the fat cap caramelizes. Gives it a great flavor IMO. For competition fat side down always.

For porkbutt, I remove the fat cap completely. It gives more real estate for rub.

Cooking on a pellet smoker. Fat cap and bones down, big end of meat towards stack for even cooking

Well, I decided to see if I can rotate the brisket every hour to see what results I get. Was hoping it would be more even across the board but it looks like ****. Started fat side down and rotated every hour. This is after a full second rotation.

Maybe it's the oven-like racks but man, I hate these tan lines. Brisket at 160F before wrapping in BP.

3b94044f16a3b1553b50884bb0b635b8.jpg

thanks so much!

Seems we overthink stuff sometimes- for a variety of reasons: being new and "everything is iffy - omg- what do I do?" OR you are one of the ones who take it too seriously and "every single facet of your cook is life or death"

Me? I'm just cooking bbq- it's pretty simple and relaxing- if you let it be that way.
If you are stressing over a cook- why?

Dude, I am grateful for the attitude adjustment! THIS is what BBQ is ALL about!:clap2::clap2::thumb:

Back