THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bout to throw down
ff1369b32060a7432b2016aaf5eb2647.jpg

I love it, the boy has his priorities figured out - one hand for food and the other for work. He's going to do fine!

looks good, when I had my buffalo chopper I made a batch of hot dogs. They were good, but I think I like them with a little texture instead of completely emulsified. Did you add some Cure #1, so they look like hot dogs??

I make a maple sage chicken sausage that my family enjoys. I did stuff them in lamb casings and it is a pain. I sous vide the last batch of links, so they became a heat and go breakfast sausage.

Great lookin sausages Jason!
If I was guessin id think you were from Texas.....
Everything is bigger there
Wienerbrats
Love it

Next time you get the sausage n hotdog itch...Videos and equipment recommendations please...

Next time you get the sausage n hotdog itch...Videos and equipment recommendations please...

Most any grinder & stuffer you can find at a Cabela's/Bass Pro/Academy work great. Just depends on how much sausage you are making.

Something like this grinder will chew through a good amount of meat
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/cabelas-heavy-duty-meat-grinder

And a piston stuffer makes all the difference when stuffing vs stuffing via a grinder. Size again is all up to how much you will do. I got a 15lb stuffer because I do larger batches, but it will also stuff 5lbs of meat with little left in the bottom at the end.

I stumbled upon a crazy deal on a #32 grinder or else I'd have something in the #12 range.

Love seeing the pictures of your adventures! I cringed when I saw that little hand in the feed area of your grinder (looked like you were trying to get some extra flavor), but otherwise great pictures. I'm not as ambitious as you. When I was hunting, I'd make venison sausage and ground venison with prime beef fat, but I'll not be making my own hot dogs.

Great pics thanks for sharing Jason! I have done a lot of sausage but never thought about doing hot dogs. May have to give it a try :)

That answers the question of a cure #1 use, great color. Did you run the fire through the main chamber and then vent through the cabinet??

I have to admit that I have been neglecting my shirley lately, if I smoke sausage I use the FEC 100. Just for the easy of it.

That answers the question of a cure #1 use, great color. Did you run the fire through the main chamber and then vent through the cabinet??

I have to admit that I have been neglecting my shirley lately, if I smoke sausage I use the FEC 100. Just for the easy of it.
Ya cure #1 in these. And I did run through the main and into the warmer. I'd occasionally open the damper from firebox to the warmer to play around and at the end to raise temps to finish.

Damn, it was in the 40s all day. You get that much heat from the Shirley to hang out in the garage?

Back