THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Threads like this are precisely why I love this place. Nicely done once again, Joe & way to keep the charcuterie game strong around here! :clap2:

One side note... here is something I've had on my radar for a year or so. I received this photo in an email and it intrigued me. It's emulsified ring bologna but it has cubes of beef as well. I would think sirloin or round. This one was cooked with sous vide at 161° for 2 hours (which seems long) but it looks like it's worth a try. Maybe a cool smoke for an hour or so, then sous vide finish plus an ice bath to cool?

EkUD62V.jpg

I have done something similar. This was all pork, but the idea is the same, chunks of meat in with the ground. I used smaller cubes so I could run it all through the stuffer. It worked out very well.

MYMOjzQ.jpg

PXGG2Z1.jpg

Oh yeah, I do headcheese in a casing as well and sous vide. I dont use the stuffer but do these by hand due to size, this one I put chunks of bacon in.

EoBtPjJ.jpg

That's what I'm talking about. I wish I had a photo but a sausage shop north of me makes a holiday sausage in 3" casings they call Yakwurst, and it's an all pork product comprised of some cured and smoked meats. It has a similar structure as your's. I think it's made as more of an appetizer tray item (like summer sausage) but it's pretty tasty when fried for breakfast.

My thoughts are to engineer a low salt bologna that is loaded with flavors. I like cracked pepper so that may lean toward a German bologna, and I'll start with one 3# chub pork/beef, with some cubes of meat.

That's what I'm talking about. I wish I had a photo but a sausage shop north of me makes a holiday sausage in 3" casings they call Yakwurst, and it's an all pork product comprised of some cured and smoked meats. It has a similar structure as your's. I think it's made as more of an appetizer tray item (like summer sausage) but it's pretty tasty when fried for breakfast.

My thoughts are to engineer a low salt bologna that is loaded with flavors. I like cracked pepper so that may lean toward a German bologna, and I'll start with one 3# chub pork/beef, with some cubes of meat.

Legerski? That was about the only option for Yakwurst in google. You have me quite curious about it.

Your thoughts on the low salt bologna sounds like you might be on to something. You have my wheels turning.

Back