Hideous bacon!

I forgot to mention in my lengthy post above, is that one of the reasons that using a scale is important is for accuracy as well as consistency in creating a good product time after time. Not just for accuracy of the cure, but also for the salt.

Lets take salt for an example as it may fit well in this case. If you take a cup of kosher salt , a cup of table salt, and a cup of sea salt; if you weigh them you will see that they all have different weights, so a cup does not always equal a cup. Even different brands of kosher salt will vary in weight from one another. But an ounce of salt will always equal an ounce.

Salt is necessary to cure the meat. Salt helps to pull the moisture from the cells and dissolves the salt/cure mixture and them distributes it back into the cell structure of the meat.

When curing, the items should be weighed (not measured) for accuracy, consistency, and food safety. Using the metric mode is much more accurate.

When making bacon use the following dry-cure ratios...

Cure #1 - the ratio is 0.025% (Multiplier .0025)
Salt - the ratio is 3% (Multiplier .03)
Sugar - the ratio is 1.25% (Multiplier .0125)

Weigh the pork belly in grams, record the weight and multiply using the above Multiplier to get the exact ratio for each ingredient.

EXAMPLE:
If you have a pork belly that weighs 1 Kilogram (1000 grams) the results would be as follows...

Weight of pork belly = 1000 grams

Cure #1 - 1000 X .0025 = 2.5 Grams of Cure #1

Salt - 1000 X .03 = 30 Grams of Salt

Sugar - 1000 X .0125 = 12.5 Grams of Sugar
You can add other spices/flavorings after the above ingredients have been weighed and mixed.

Just replace the 1000 with the actual weight in grams of each pork belly and multiply to get the required amount of each ingredient for each pork belly. Harbor Freight has a nice inexpensive electronic scale that switches between grams and pounds with a touch of a button.

Note the 2.5 grams of cure above. When buying a scale for cure make sure it does 0.1 gram increments unless you only do big batches. Some kitchen scales only do 1.0 gram increments which is not good enough to weigh the cure #1. There are several capable scales on Amazon for under $15 so the upcharge for the accuracy is basically nil. Just add 0.1 g to your search term and you should find them. I got one that goes up to 15 lbs (7 kg) for $12 or so. I have yet to cure anything in individual hunks that weigh more than 15 pounds and unless I want to make XL corned beef (over 15 lbs trimmed?) it should cover everything I will ever need.

Also, FWIW, I use a bit less salt than the above recipee and I also account for the cure being over 90% plain salt. Do your own research on minimum safe levels, and keep records of your measurements so you can get repeatable results when you find the flavor profile you prefer.

I also dry cure by weight as outlined by MadMan. I've settled on 2.75% salt by weight for my own preference. The cure is critical at the above listed amount, but you can tweak the salt and sugar to taste. It's literally impossible to over or under salt or cure in this manner. For weighing the cure, a digital jeweler's scale can be had for $11 via Amazon or Walmart; they're accurate to .01 gram. There's no other way to cure bacon in my opinion.

For what you already have made that's too salty, mjpmap has the ticket. It's how people used to cook bacon that was cured covered in salt. A simplified method is covering the slices with water in a skillet, bringing to a boil, dump out that water, reduce heat and cook as normal.

Personally I am questioning the use of the rack. As previously stated the whole point of the salt (just like in a brine) is to pull moisture out then back in carrying flavors and cure. If the liquid that forms drains off it seems to me that you've only dehydrated the meat while adding a bunch of salt to the surface. I'm thinking like a brine. If you don't allow enough time for the brine to work it's magic and let the liquids return to the meat it's gonna be salty. Just my two cents. What do I know?

I have found the magic salt ratio for bacon to be 2% by weight with an extra .25% cure#1 by weight making 2.25% total salt by weight. With the money you can save making your own bacon invest in a scale if you haven't already.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-0-01g-Digital-Scale/dp/B0012LOQUQ"]Amazon.com: American Weigh 100g x 0.01g Digital Scale: Educational And Hobby Weighing Scales: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41AKYOLyaDL.@@AMEPARAM@@41AKYOLyaDL[/ame]

Lots of good info here, all I'd add is the dude who made that video should take some of the advice here before presuming to be "expert" enough to give advice out to the public. He doesn't really know what he's doing. There are a lot of horribly wrong BBQ videos on youtube and it's a very good idea to establish the credentials of whoever made the video before heeding their advice.

As to the slab you have now - as said, could be soaked out further, or used for beans, etc.

I thought you had to use tenderquick or pink salts to cure I doubt that plastic grid is food safe
Check out thirdeyes blog He has a good write up on bacon

I forgot to mention in my lengthy post above, is that one of the reasons that using a scale is important is for accuracy as well as consistency in creating a good product time after time. Not just for accuracy of the cure, but also for the salt.

Lets take salt for an example as it may fit well in this case. If you take a cup of kosher salt , a cup of table salt, and a cup of sea salt; if you weigh them you will see that they all have different weights, so a cup does not always equal a cup. Even different brands of kosher salt will vary in weight from one another. But an ounce of salt will always equal an ounce.

Salt is necessary to cure the meat. Salt helps to pull the moisture from the cells and dissolves the salt/cure mixture and them distributes it back into the cell structure of the meat.

When curing, the items should be weighed (not measured) for accuracy, consistency, and food safety. Using the metric mode is much more accurate.

When making bacon use the following dry-cure ratios...

Cure #1 - the ratio is 0.025% (Multiplier .0025)
Salt - the ratio is 3% (Multiplier .03)
Sugar - the ratio is 1.25% (Multiplier .0125)

Weigh the pork belly in grams, record the weight and multiply using the above Multiplier to get the exact ratio for each ingredient.

EXAMPLE:
If you have a pork belly that weighs 1 Kilogram (1000 grams) the results would be as follows...

Weight of pork belly = 1000 grams

Cure #1 - 1000 X .0025 = 2.5 Grams of Cure #1

Salt - 1000 X .03 = 30 Grams of Salt

Sugar - 1000 X .0125 = 12.5 Grams of Sugar
You can add other spices/flavorings after the above ingredients have been weighed and mixed.

Just replace the 1000 with the actual weight in grams of each pork belly and multiply to get the required amount of each ingredient for each pork belly. Harbor Freight has a nice inexpensive electronic scale that switches between grams and pounds with a touch of a button.
Question. in the above example do you mix Cure 1, salt and sugar together or is each one a stand alone cure?

I've had great results mixing the salt and cure#1 one together then applying 20% to the skin side and the other 80% to the meat side; all the spices and sugar I apply 100% to the meat side

Take a few slices and blanch them in a frying pan with water for a minute or two then dump the water and then fry. That will get a lot of the salt out.

The way my old country family handled to salty meat is to put you slices of meat in a pan or pot bring to a boil for a few minutes.Then rinse and fry as normal. Q Junkie has got it right.It makes a big difference.

This is a lie!!!

With all the extra bacon you will be eating, plus all the neighbors, friends and family who will invite themselves over for breakfast lunch and dinner, your butcher will be able to invest in a Ferrari.

Roger that. If there isn't homemade bacon being cooked every weekend and holiday morning - and the occasional dinner - in our house, my wife and kids feel that something has gone horribly wrong. Or it could just be me who feels that way...:noidea:

one other thing: for me, larger cuts end up with better results. when I break down a belly into chunks of 3 lbs or less, they get really salty. Larger cuts seem to do better and need less time in a water bath before smoking.

I have no idea why, it just has been my experience. I prefer a wet cure, personally.

I have learned that it's wise to microwave/fry a sample of the port belly after curing and before smoking. Then if its too salty, it goes into a water bath for 45 minutes to an hour, then sample again.

My guess is that your plan to put it in water after smoking should work fine, but be careful on the timing. I once left a 5# too-salty chunk of belly in water for about 3 hours and it was so un-salty that I had to add salt via the salt shaker. Its been surprising to me how little time it takes to reduce the salt content. My guess is that you'll be happy with the results of some careful rinsing.

Oh my! I just watched the video, well half of it anyway. That is a great example of how NOT to cure meat. Way too many things wrong there. I would add that guy to the permanent ignore list.

Curing is like baking, it requires fairly precise measurements and process control. You don't just put on some salt, and later out on a little more. It is not safe nor going to give reliable results.

Use cure 1. Yes, you can safely cure meats without it, but that means much higher salt levels, among other things. Nitrates are not a health risk like some people believe (lots of veggies are loaded with'em), and if you look at the label of "uncured" bacon you will see celery juice which is naturally high in nitrates so they are just getting to the same place with a different ingredient. Use a calculator to figure out how much cure 1 you need for the weight of meat you have, this is not the place for a sprinkle or a smidge. Weigh out the salt and sugar as well. Spices and seasoning don't need to be as precise. Wet cures are a good way to get an even salt and cure concentration, but you may not like the texture without adding some drying time, but if you are soaking your meat to get the excess dry cure salt out, you need to dry anyway. I would at least give it a try.

Don't give up, and good luck with round 2!

Agreed. I did my first bacon earlier this year and also ended up way too salty. I had a good recipe (with weights) but it didn't specify a ratio. Halfway through I got worried about not using enough so I added a second coat and ended up totally overdoing it. In retrospect one proper coat at the beginning would have been perfect. It was edible but we ended up mixing it with other stuff (salad, soup) to dilute the salt content.

I'm still a novice myself but I can tell you that video is way off. I've seen that guy's stuff before and I get the sense he's often just filming himself doing stuff for the first time. If he was adding salt every day... eek.

Update.

First, thanks for all the good advice, Folks! So, I tried the hot & cold water technique on about 1/2 of the trash bacon I produced and it definitely pulled out a good bit of the salt from the meat. Not quite edible for either of us yet, so I'll repeat it tonight. Thanks again!:-D

Back