Help Troubleshooting Pellet Grill Temp Issue

RemoGaggi

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
RemoGaggi
A small portable tabletop pellet grill that has a PID controller that consistently runs about 50-70 degrees hotter than the set temperature. We're not talking normal fluctuation, but if set at 200F, it will settle and run between 250-270F; if set at 225F, it will run at 275F-295F, etc. The temperature never gets down anywhere near the set temp, it's always 50-70 degrees higher.

The grill temps have been monitored by 2 different separate digital thermometers, so I've verified the unit is running about 50-70 degrees hotter than the set temp. Outside ambient temps have been mild in the 70's-80's.

The PID controller has been replaced twice from the manufacturer, so 3 controllers total all behave the same way. The RTD probe has also been replaced 3 times and all the RTD's yield the same results with the PID controller.

So, the unit regulates heat, but just 50-70 degrees higher. I see on Facebook an other reviews that there are people out there with units that are able to hold the set temperature, so I know it can work properly.

At the moment, the unit is serviceable and actually does a good job if I set it at 200F to cook around 250F, but I'd like to get it to run like lower like it is supposed to do.

I suspect the problem has to be the controller. It's either a defective batch of controllers or just a POS designed controller - likely the latter. I can't think of anything else it could be. Any ideas out there on what else it could be? I'm well familiar with pellet grills (I've been through a bunch), but I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything. (I'm purposely not naming the company as I'm in discussions with them about trying to remedy the issue).

Is the auger feed rate adjustable? If so I'd try dialing it back.

I did think about the auger feed rate, but shouldn't the controller compensate for this?

I don't believe there's a way to adjuster the feed rate on the auger here. It's just the standard 2-wire to the controller.

Brand and model?

Sounds like the PID's linear gain correction factor isn't dialed in to compensate for the difference in temp between the RTD location and the actual cooking area temp.

My pellet grill does the same thing. I talked to the manufacturer, and they were fantastic to deal with. They replaced the controller twice, and the temp probe as well. Nothing ever fixed the problem, so I stopped bothering them. That was a few years ago....

I just got used to setting the grill lower so I could cook at the temps I wanted. I have my guesses as to the brand and model, but I will respect your privacy. I hope you get it figured out, and if you do, that you share the outcome with the rest of us. I would venture a guess that mine has the same issue. Good luck!

Back