Help the Mason City, Iowa contest!

Leatherheadiowa

Full Fledged Farker
This morning I read a note from Ruth Miller that the, Up in Smoke BBQ Contest in Mason City, Iowa may be on the brink of extinction.
Due to an inquiry from Kyle Easley and a couple members of the Mason City Parks and Rec board the park which is subject to the smoke free air act that prohibits tobacco smoke in the park, Mr. Easley has made a motion to not allow for the use of smokers that produce fine particulate in the air.
This is what Ruth told me today,"BJ- This was actually the result of a cigarette smoking ban they want in the park that got out of hand.Now they want a report on charcoal pollution so if you know where to get one - that's positive - it would be most helpful. Thanks.\"
I am asking that all BBQ Brethren contact Mr. Easley and let him know how absurd his notions are. This is the same community that welcomed 20,000 bike riders and all their trash and destruction into the same park. This is also the same town that allows stock car racing without catalytic convertors. This is also a community that opens their arms to BBQ lovers from across the country!
Ruth believes the board will pass this action soon if people don't act fast! Let's band together and make sure Mr. Easley knows we are serious about our BBQ!
Kyle Easley, Secretary -
Phone: 641-430-2033 Email: kj_easley@yahoo.com

We need to contact the gentleman early and often and let them know we the people are going to stand by and let some ill-informed person take precedence over barbecue!
Call Kyle at: 641-430-2033

Email sent.
--------------------------------------------------

For those who might need some ideas for what to write - here's what I wrote. (Don't just copy and paste - Mr. Easley will respect your message more if you make it your own.)

--------------------------------------------------
Hello Mr. Easley -

I am writing to you in support of the Up in Smoke BBQ Contest in Mason City, Iowa.

All event activities produce some kind of pollution whether it be air, water or trash.

20,000 bikers produce particulate air contamination from their exhaust.

Also consider that the town allows stock car racing. This also contributes particulate contamination to the air.

The particulate concentrations and the chemical makeup of the smoke from BBQ cooker exhaust (and these other activities above) are not of the same chemical composition, nor are they as intensely concentrated when inhaled (and therefore not as dangerous) as smoke from a cigarette.

ALL factors of any event activity need to be weighed when considering whether to allow the activity to continue or not.

Economic activity generated is important, but so are sense of community and overall happiness of the residents of the town (among others, I'm sure).

Thank you very much for taking the time to consider what I have written.

James David Childers (BBQ Competition Cook)

3109 Trail Road
Lawrence, Kansas 66049
<cell phone # was also provided>

OK - I just received a phone call from Mr. Easley.

He explained to me that some misinformation has been passed around.

The contest is NOT in danger of being cancelled due to concerns about smoke. Not at all.

He informed me that there has been informal, preliminary discussion of finding a bigger, better venue to hold the competition and that he and his group are highly supportive of the contest and they want to make sure it GROWS in the future.

Someone, somewhere TOTALLY misunderstood and passed along some BAD information!
(Whoever they are, they should be ashamed of themselves for making this up and making Mr. Easley's afternoon less fun.)

Fact checking and asking questions, opening up dialogues and so forth is the way to the truth - not taking what someone says and blindly passing it on.

Also, there is NEVER EVER any reason to be rude in your communications. Especially on social media. We are all in this together and we always need to work towards compromise, compassion and civility in our dealings with each other.

So -

NEVER MIND - FALSE ALARM

This is what I got from the organizer:
BJ- Sorry, tried to call but your line was busy. This was actually the result of a cigarette smoking ban they want in the park that got out of hand.Now they want a report on charcoal pollution so if you know where to get one - that's positive - it would be most helpful. Thanks.\
I got my first word from the North Iowa Up in Smoke Facebook page.
Sounds like some fast talking from an elected official.

OK - I just received a phone call from Mr. Easley.

He explained to me that some misinformation has been passed around.

The contest is NOT in danger of being cancelled due to concerns about smoke. Not at all.

He informed me that there has been informal, preliminary discussion of finding a bigger, better venue to hold the competition and that he and his group are highly supportive of the contest and they want to make sure it GROWS in the future.

Someone, somewhere TOTALLY misunderstood and passed along some BAD information!
(Whoever they are, they should be ashamed of themselves for making this up and making Mr. Easley's afternoon less fun.)

Fact checking and asking questions, opening up dialogues and so forth is the way to the truth - not taking what someone says and blindly passing it on.

Also, there is NEVER EVER any reason to be rude in your communications. Especially on social media. We are all in this together and we always need to work towards compromise, compassion and civility in our dealings with each other.

So -

NEVER MIND - FALSE ALARM

I am not sure what all is going on with this. Personally i love this contest but here is a link to the story that was in the Mason City newspaper dated Oct 14th at 7:50 pm
http://m.globegazette.com/news/loca...59be-8307-4a39c5fae101.html?mobile_touch=true

In the article it specifically states that this gentleman made the motion. I know the media sometimes makes a mountain out of a molehill, but I will be honest I would take the integrity of Ruth Miller over 99% of the people in this world. It does seem either this gentleman is not telling you the whole truth or Ruth and the people at the Globe Gazette are not.

Also here is from the contests own facebook page
North Iowa Up in Smoke BBQ Championship

14 hours ago

Mason City Park Board puts a hold on renewing request for 2014 BBQ Championship. They are concerned with environment issues from burning charcoal.

Again it seems that Mr Easley is not telling the complete truth. I hope I am wrong and that there is a simple misunderstanding and we dont have the complete story.

I smell a rat here. It would appear that Mr. Easley is lying. What he told QansasjayhawQ (Brother Dave) totally conterdicts what is reported in the paper. I personally know Brother Dave and can tell you that he is not doing the lying here. I believe that a letter to the editor would be appropriate here if this this contest gets cancelled, pointing out loss of income to the community.

Ruth, the organizer posted on FB that the Park board will meet this Friday night to decide on the matter. I have no doubt that Mr. Easley lied to the Brethren he spoke with.
How convenient that the board schedules a meeting on a Friday night???

Back