Have you started planning a 2018 schedule yet?

So probably no Sam's, but remember when the Royal said they would have us dates by the Holidays. Guess they didn't say what Holiday. Hahaha

We did Gravette last year and had a good time. Do they have everything ready to do it on pavement this year though? That time of year, the field can be troublesome.

I haven't heard anything. The organizer is super responsive on facebook though.

Ha...ha...ha...I wish! Our schedule doesn't come out early enough to plan anything other than flying by the seat of our pants every year. :twisted:

I'm betting another date change this year!

Honestly, I hope so. I didn't like Labor Day weekend. Go back to first week in October, imo. Hell, I even preferred the last weekend like they did a couple years ago. Potential is there for a lot of cold, but I'm a fat guy, I'll survive.

Yes, likely IBCA in Monroe, LA February 9-10. I believe I'm going to cut back this year. Still a bit burnt from last fall. Goal is to only do 2 contests back to back!

Let's look at what's happened.

• The name was changed to The national Pro BBQ tour sponsored by Sam's Club
  • MMA was the administrator (and probably owner) of the tour
  • MMA is no longer associated with KCBS
  • McDearman made a "Thanks for the memories / farewell" Facebook post after the finals
  • No announcements have been forthcoming

All this adds up to long odds on a 2018 tour

Does anyone have the short and skinny on why MMA wasn't retained? I was skeptical when the MMA was originally brought on, but felt they brought in a lot of outside dollars. Who will be filling that role now?

I hate to see the tour end. I enjoyed it. Plus the finals were in my back yard.

To keep on topic, back to cooking in Oklahoma.

Robert

Yes... We usually only do 2-3 per year since it's so expensive to travel overseas for comps... But this year we're in some invitationals so gotta make it work =)

Brew 'n' Q Invitational & Open, UK
BBQ Festival, Estonia
American Royal Invitational & Open
Het BBQKampioenschap Van Het Waasland 2018, Belgium
Ruhrpott, Germany (if they arrange it this year)
The Jack (most likely)

Obviously not many of these are very relevant to most of you. We'd like to do more comps in the States while there, but we'll see...

I'm thinking about going across the pond the other direction. I have to spend some time in Europe from March to July. Any suggestions on comps to cook while over there? Any tips on logistics for getting all that together?

I'm really sad that The American Dream is retiring...

On Sam's, you can't put everything on MMA/KCBS. There were personnel changes at Sam's that had to be a factor as well. Frankly, a 7 year run with the tournament was amazing! Especially considering that it was never promoted to maximize customer impact (this is my somewhat educated opinion).

Back