hanging brisket question?

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
forget fat cap up or down. the real question is point up or down?

I figure point up. I'd rather let the toe end of the flat get beat up, the point is more important.

now let's cook.

we let Costco lapse (BJs now) and the amount of fat left on their prime packers was getting old. add in the extra buck they charge and I have had enough. restaurant depot is under $3 lbs for upper choice and this 12 lbs packer yielded about the same as a 17 lbs one from Costco.

AZddQ0Wh.jpg

double hooked and rubbed with my goto for brisket, oakridge blackops and Naturrific Q-salt.

PzygxHUh.jpg

I planned on waking up early but slept through my alarm. in fairness it was after 2 when I went to bed and the alarm was set for 4. I dragged myself out of bed by six thirty and managed to have the brisket on by 8, just in time to fix breakfast for the baby.

8oY76hUh.jpg

5 hrs in and we had broke the stall, it was time to wrap in butcher paper. it wasnt much to look at by this point.

Rbxtnc6h.jpg

i finished it off at 200 in my countertop roaster and through the magic of butcher paper this came out

R1PVtvjh.jpg

came out just the way I like it. slightly overcooked but still juicy. you know obnoxious thing guys do in videos where they press down on a brisket and juice oozes out? well ya I did that. I was playing around with foil wraps on my last few brisket cooks and have decided it's not worth it. as much as I like that liquid gold I prefer my paper wrapped cooks.

il6SZIth.jpg

dinner was served with :becky:'s homemade slaw. I only put a small slice on the plate because as usual I just stand over the cutting board eating pieces as I slice like a savage. I love slices with flat and point together, that gooey fat holding them together. I call it a texas cut. the flat and point grain runs in different directions. I've learned if you get the angle right you can get both pieces to crosscut on a single slice. it's pure heaven.

kZaV7Kch.jpg

Nice!
Been awhile since you've been able to do one hasn't it?
:clap2::clap2::clap2:

it's been awhile, I think sometime last fall, maybe longer. I've been doing beef ribs instead lately. I may be in the minority but when both are done well I prefer brisket to plate ribs. the only thing I like better about ribs is I can knock them out in 4 hrs

I've only hung a couple but always done point down. How did the edge of the flat turn out? Looks like you're at the point that you don't know how to cook a bad brisket. :thumb:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I've only hung a couple but always done point down. How did the edge of the flat turn out? Looks like you're at the point that you don't know how to cook a bad brisket. :thumb:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks

I may try the next one point down next time but I dunno, if it ain't broke dont fix it. Like I said the flat was touching the coals. When I pulled to wrap the bottom looked toast. The wrap really saved it. I vac sealed and froze the first 4 inches of the flat but all of the brisket I ate was money, as good as any I have made.

There's a saying, "dont just practice til you get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong"

Oh Man that looks Great! So you let it hit the stall and then finished in butcherpaper in the oven? How long in the oven?

Thanks

Hot and fast for 5 hrs. I prefer to go just past the stall if possible. Butcher paper wrapped at 200° for about 2 more hrs. Once it was tender I lower the temp to 150 for the hold.

Brisket was hanging in the drum at 8am and we were eating at 5, could have served it at 4 easily

This was a smaller brisket, 12 lbs before trimming

it's been awhile, I think sometime last fall, maybe longer. I've been doing beef ribs instead lately. I may be in the minority but when both are done well I prefer brisket to plate ribs. the only thing I like better about ribs is I can knock them out in 4 hrs

I have to say, I’m with ya there. I like short ribs but would take a good brisket or even a well marbled chuck over them any day.

Ain't mad at that at all (quote borrowed from my amigo, Gordon, aka Evil -g here). You definitely nailed that sucker!

Looks amazing! I haven't hung one in the PBC yet. This gives me something new to try, since I still have at least 2 more weeks off work.

Looks amazing! I haven't hung one in the PBC yet. This gives me something new to try, since I still have at least 2 more weeks off work.

I typically do brisket on my super ugly drum. I marooned it up at the family property in mid Michigan because I was sick of trying to cook on what was up there.

when I bought the barrel house it was with the intention that it would be the "up north" cooker. I played around with it some first and decided to keep it around because it was so much fun

Back