Halved brisket?

Mo-Dave

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I now have a 14 lb packer brisket, was thinking about trimming it how I want it, then cutting it lengthwise. The reason for this is it is just my wife and I, and really don't want to packaging and freeze, instead would rather smoke the other half another day. That way I can get double the fun with one brisket without a lot of leftovers.

Don't get me wrong I love leftovers, just prefer it more, if fresh off the smoker. I realize after trimming, cutting it, and cooking I probably will only wind up with about 5 lbs of cooked meat give or take, these days we only do about 2 lbs of meat with lots leftover. I like to use leftovers in other dishes like chili, or stew, but the wife does not care for smoked meat in anything else except a bun.:mmph:

Anyone ever do this? Any pros and cons on doing this?
Dave

Mo,
I posted a thread last weekend about brisket help and one of the fella's (PJ Texas1) responded with this;

"In my family only 2 of us eat brisket. I have even split a big one lengthwise and cooked it. It's all about getting it probe tender and not coming up short or leaving it too long. I trim very aggressively to get the thickeness more even and to help them cook faster."

You might PM PJ and see what he recommends. Good luck and have double the fun!

Trailer Trash
Just curious, have you tried one split down the middle yet? If so, how was it in your opinion compared to a whole one?

Mo,
I posted a thread last weekend about brisket help and one of the fella's (PJ Texas1) responded with this;

"In my family only 2 of us eat brisket. I have even split a big one lengthwise and cooked it. It's all about getting it probe tender and not coming up short or leaving it too long. I trim very aggressively to get the thickeness more even and to help them cook faster."

You might PM PJ and see what he recommends. Good luck and have double the fun!

They cook just like a packer. It's been awhile but they do cook a little bit faster but not hours faster. best part is you get point in both cooks.

They cook just like a packer. It's been awhile but they do cook a little bit faster but not hours faster. best part is you get point in both cooks.

Last question. Does it stay as moist as a whole packer in your opinion or can you detect some difference in end quality?

Last question. Does it stay as moist as a whole packer in your opinion or can you detect some difference in end quality?

Like I said it's been some time but I don't recall it being tough or anything bad. I do remember it having an odd shape after cutting it. Like it spread out.
20140406_183004.jpg
20140406_183310.jpg

Pjtexas1
It looks good to me. Thanks for the reply. Have never tried splitting one myself and was just curious of your opinion. Again it looks good and thanks for the reply.

Thanks PJ. I have a whole 15 Lbs'r in the fridge right now. Going to split it and do one today and the other tomorrow.

A little OT. Have not done many whole briskets. The first was just after buying the Brinkmann 4 years ago. Thing was cryovaced and 14#. Too big for the Brinkmann so I had to separate the point and flat and put them on different racks. While dividing them I cut out a lot of fat, while leaving quite a bit on the meat. Weighed the fat out of curiosity and discovered it was 4½#.

Is it normal for a brisket to be that fatty or did I get a bad one?

A little OT. Have not done many whole briskets. The first was just after buying the Brinkmann 4 years ago. Thing was cryovaced and 14#. Too big for the Brinkmann so I had to separate the point and flat and put them on different racks. While dividing them I cut out a lot of fat, while leaving quite a bit on the meat. Weighed the fat out of curiosity and discovered it was 4½#.

Is it normal for a brisket to be that fatty or did I get a bad one?

I think it depends on how aggressively you trim. I also think that is where the floppy briskets are better thing came from. If the brisket is not floppy then there will probably be a lot of hard fat that will have to be trimmed and that will subtract a little more from what you will be cooking. I have never weighed my trimmings but I would think it has to be at least 3LBS on a brisket that size.

"If you don't mind, please share your thoughts as well after you cook the two halves"

SGH, Here is a shot at 4 hours using Bludawgs KISS high heat method. I've now wrapped in butcher paper and back in. It temped at 159°

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 72
Dave, I'm with you - smoked meat is good in everything. Nothing better than leftover brisket in your eggs in the morning and the list could go on.

I usually split my briskets just to help them cook faster, but I always cook the whole thing (usually several at a time) and then freeze what a family of 5 can't eat in a week. I usually wrap in foil at 160, so the juices are saved and I freeze it in the juices which negates the potential freezer burn. The main reason we do this is the frozen brisket makes for quick meals in the middle of the week and by the time the pit gets hot it might as well be full of meat...same amount of wood either way.

Okay, this is what I ended up with. It was the best brisket that "I've" ever done. Not that it was perfect but my best anyway. So I would say that it went very well and I WILL be doing more this way. Cut the whole packer in half (almost) lengthwise. Started with 15 Lbs cut to 8.6 Lbs trimmed and ended up with just under 4 Lbs. cooked.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 23
Dave, I'm with you - smoked meat is good in everything. Nothing better than leftover brisket in your eggs in the morning and the list could go on.

I usually split my briskets just to help them cook faster, but I always cook the whole thing (usually several at a time) and then freeze what a family of 5 can't eat in a week. I usually wrap in foil at 160, so the juices are saved and I freeze it in the juices which negates the potential freezer burn. The main reason we do this is the frozen brisket makes for quick meals in the middle of the week and by the time the pit gets hot it might as well be full of meat...same amount of wood either way.

Yes I have done that many times with smoked meat, its just me wanting to do more smoking for less money except the wood, plus my freezer is packed with foods, like a butt or two, oh yes two or three slabs of ribs, lets not forget the turkey, chicken and pork shoulder plus all the other things.:wink:
Dave

Back